Keeping my puppy at 2 different locations..need advice potty training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Keeping my puppy at 2 different locations..need advice potty training

I am picking up my 8 week puppy this week. But here is my situation:

I live on campus at school in an apartment. I stay there Monday afternoon-late Thursday. Then for the long weekend I come home because I work and it's easier to sleep at home the night before work.

I have a large crate for home, I am not going to lug this thing back and forth to school. I have a smaller crate for school. I plan to have her sleep in her crate in my bedroom at home and at school.

My concern is potty training..I live on the far end of my apartment and there is only 1 door so it probably takes about 4 minutes to even get outside the building. My question is, while she is at school with me can I train her to use pee pads at night? Like take her out of crate when she cries at night and put the leash on her and walk her straight to the pad until she goes? During the day she will be outside, its just the middle of the night i'm concerned about. At home I will walk her outside at night. Will she be confused? Like I said it's only at night that I will enforce pee pads and only while at school 3 nights a week. Also, I am only at school for 3 more weeks so it's not more than like 12 nights.

When our Bernese had puppies it was the middle of the winter and when they were out of their play den during the day they used the pads because it was hard to take 8 puppies outside to pee..our two dogs never have accidents in the house.

Open to any advice. Leaving her at home while I am at school is not an option.

Thank you everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member

Since your system worked with your Bernese puppies, I think it should work for your new pup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I hope that maybe if I put the leash on her even when she is using the pad she will associate the leash with going to the bathroom? If I'm at home and taking her outside she will be on a leash. This way I can also guide her easily to the pad..I guess I'll find out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Crowned Member

From personal experience I wish I had NEVER trained my dogs to pee pads (my Chinese Cresteds). I would prefer that they NEVER EVER think it's ok to go potty in the house.

If the pup needs to go out at night during the week, take it our of the crate and CARRY it outside. That will keep it from having an accident on the way.

Also, what did you mean by "During the day she will be outside..."?

Outside, on campus?? Will anyone be with her?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Elite Member

Hello fellow apartment person,
I also vote for just getting up and walking the 4 min outside carrying the dog.
My puppy was raised on pee pads at the breeder until she was 8 weeks, and you know, all her accidents that were my fault were on the rugs that we used to have :P
I would just avoid pads and try to go outside even if its kinda difficult, trust me I feel your pain, i had to walk down several flights of stairs for weeks, multiple times in the middle of the night while it was snowing and raining, but now rugs are safe and I dont have stinky pee pads.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Banned

i think you can train her to go potty wherever you want
her to go. explain outside during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrscpc07 View Post
I am picking up my 8 week puppy this week. But here is my situation:

I live on campus at school in an apartment. I stay there Monday afternoon-late Thursday. Then for the long weekend I come home because I work and it's easier to sleep at home the night before work.

I have a large crate for home, I am not going to lug this thing back and forth to school. I have a smaller crate for school. I plan to have her sleep in her crate in my bedroom at home and at school.

My concern is potty training..I live on the far end of my apartment and there is only 1 door so it probably takes about 4 minutes to even get outside the building. My question is, while she is at school with me can I train her to use pee pads at night? Like take her out of crate when she cries at night and put the leash on her and walk her straight to the pad until she goes?

>>>> During the day she will be outside,<<<<

its just the middle of the night i'm concerned about. At home I will walk her outside at night. Will she be confused? Like I said it's only at night that I will enforce pee pads and only while at school 3 nights a week. Also, I am only at school for 3 more weeks so it's not more than like 12 nights.

When our Bernese had puppies it was the middle of the winter and when they were out of their play den during the day they used the pads because it was hard to take 8 puppies outside to pee..our two dogs never have accidents in the house.

Open to any advice. Leaving her at home while I am at school is not an option.

Thank you everyone!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

By outside I meant I will be taking her out on a leash every hour or so to make sure she doesn't have any accidents inside. She will never be alone..guess I should have made that clear haha
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I am on the 4th floor so yes..lots of stairs. I guess I was scared that if she had to go that bad she would pee on the way down to outside..it's a tough decision also because I know I would only be using the pads for a few nights until I move back home permanently.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

I understand your concern and it's like being between a rock and a hard place. Of course, you could luck out like it did with my pup. My Sting slept thru the night from 8 weeks on. Maybe it was because he was a big pup, he never drank much water an hour or so before bed and I did make sure he had lots of walks. The only other alternative, would be to set your alarm for halfway thru the night and take her out before she is crying to go. For loss of sleep, that could be worse and also would set a pattern for her expecting to go during the night. For a few nights, I don't think the pads would hurt. For the leash, it is good she learns to go when she is on the leash, but I don't think that will have anything to do with her associating the leash with the piddle pads. There used to be an old way of housetraining with newspapers on the floor, the idea also was to take a soiled newspaper outside so the pup would learn to go outside also. I also have read that the advantage with training to use a piddle pad or newspaper, is that if for some reason the dog is sick or you are home late, they will go inside on a piddle pad.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I understand your concern and it's like being between a rock and a hard place. Of course, you could luck out like it did with my pup. My Sting slept thru the night from 8 weeks on. Maybe it was because he was a big pup, he never drank much water an hour or so before bed and I did make sure he had lots of walks. The only other alternative, would be to set your alarm for halfway thru the night and take her out before she is crying to go. For loss of sleep, that could be worse and also would set a pattern for her expecting to go during the night. For a few nights, I don't think the pads would hurt. For the leash, it is good she learns to go when she is on the leash, but I don't think that will have anything to do with her associating the leash with the piddle pads. There used to be an old way of housetraining with newspapers on the floor, the idea also was to take a soiled newspaper outside so the pup would learn to go outside also. I also have read that the advantage with training to use a piddle pad or newspaper, is that if for some reason the dog is sick or you are home late, they will go inside on a piddle pad.
I don't mind having to get up in the middle of the night, I understand this comes with having a new puppy It's just walking all the way to the other end of the apartment down 4 flights of stairs several times a night..Like you said, I was hoping that using the pads just a couple nights wouldnt hurt. During the day and as soon as I'm home on weekends she will be brought outside constantly and praised for going potty outside. I can bring her outside at night when I'm home as well..my apartment is just temporary a few nights a week for 2 weeks until the semester is over. I also have two dogs at home who NEVER have accidents in the house and hopefully she will learn from them as well. I am never going to be gone for more than 4 hours at a time (class or work), and I have arranged for a friend to take her outside while I am gone. It's hard to think that her using pads a few nights a week will confuse her or teach her to pee indoors..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page