11 month old house training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

11 month old house training

I just got my 11 month old GSD from a breeder in Alabama. She has basic obedience training so she knows sit and lay down and we are working with her on the commands. I'm trying to figure the best style of training for the dog and myself.

The problem we are having is she will dump outside but when she gets back inside she will pee on the carpet, no matter how long we are outside for after the dump. Do y'all have any suggestions?

-Derek

Solid Black GSD
"Harley"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Knighted Member

Crate her when you can't watch her.

Tether her to you at all times in the house.

Watcher her every second of the day when she is not one of the above.

Take her out every 20 minutes, and,

after nap time
after eating
after playtime
after 20 minutes have lapsed.

They don't know what or how to do this unless you show them and teach them.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MichaelE,

She's next to me anytime I'm in the house or she is crated when I leave. I don't let her in any room without me. I was going to try the leash thing once she used the bathroom in the house again, but since she's just been going outside.

-Derek DeJarnatt

Solid Black GSD
"Harley"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

Have you taken her to the vet? She may have a UTI...I'd also have a fecal test run. If she is not spayed, she may be going into heat(which shouldn't have bearing on her not housetraining, but messes with the hormones!)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Knighted Member

I noticed you said she pees after she dumps. None of my GSD's ever pooped before they pee'd.

I don't know if that is peculiar to the dogs I've owned, or GSD's in general, but I just caught that.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I noticed you said she pees after she dumps. None of my GSD's ever pooped before they pee'd.

I don't know if that is peculiar to the dogs I've owned, or GSD's in general, but I just caught that.
My boy ALWAYS pees before he poos. So did my girl and the boy I had before her. MHO is that this is the norm unless there is a medical condition or illness. Not an expert but became a big poo watcher after switching to raw diet

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to ask my wife she's the morning walker. I know she normally just pees in the evening. She peed in the house again today so I went ahead and leashed her to me like MichaelE said. I am supposed to keep her leashed until she pees outside and then releash her if she pees inside? Oh, the accident this evening was because I cam home from work and just played with her without taking her out.

-Derek

Solid Black GSD
"Harley"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Another thing, she doesn't go to the door yet. I realize I've had her for about two weeks now but she has come along way.

Solid Black GSD
"Harley"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Knighted Member

Start asking her if she wants to 'go outside'. "Do you wanna go outside?" "Let's go outside and go potty", something to that effect. Just be consistent.

Ask her everytime when you take her out. It's not really a question for her, but to get her used to the command that you are about to go outside to potty.

When you do this, don't play with her. This is just a potty trip.
Stand there with her until she goes. Tell her to 'Go potty' or pee, or whatever you want to call it, just be consistent. When she's finished, go back inside, no playing. She has to be made to understand what she's out there for. Potty; nothing else.

Keep watching for signs that she has to go. It's the usual sniffing around, walking in circles, or pacing. Don't wait because she'll squat before you can get up. If she does, don't scold her. If she is still pottying in the house it's because she doesn't yet understand what you want (or don't want).

You can't discipline understanding. Only patients and perseverance will accomplish potty training. They're smart dogs. She'll catch on if you do your part.

Watch for other signs too. She might whine when you know she isn't hungry, wanting to play, or isn't tired. She might come to you and sit and look at you and not say anything. She might jump on you and whine. These are all potty signals. You just need to tune into her.

Lisl never did go to the door because if she did I'd never see her. I can't see the door from where I am in the house so she came up with different ways of letting me know she had to go out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page