2 Training questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

2 Training questions

When walking on a leash my pup will run ahead of me no matter how many leash corrections i do, or she pulls to the side on it. How can I train her to stay right by my side.

2nd, when giving her a bath she flips out and will bite me, claw me, and jump out of the tub its almost impossible to bath her how do I get her to stay calm durning one. ( wont even go within 10 feet of the bathroom if the door is open because she knows thats where her bath happens.)

Athena(Black/Silver) GSD - born 12/15/2012

Last edited by Seth08; 04-08-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
How old? Bath. Fiona did this. I got a kiddie pool and she likes that. She will also attack water coming out of the hose. That is the bath that Fiona gets. No need for shampoo.

Edit. Train her on your left side. Teach heel. Keep high value treats in your left pocket. Make sure she knows they are there.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

She just turned 4 months old. I bath her once a month, but she acts like its death all together. But if you put water anywhere else she will play in it.

Yeah I started training her on my right side till a Navy Veteran stopped me and told me train her on the opposite hand from my dominate hand incase you have to punch someone in the face were his exact words lol. So sense then I have been leash walking her on my left hand side now.

Athena(Black/Silver) GSD - born 12/15/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Fiona is the same way. Bath is murder. I started to let the water accumulate in the tub while taking a shower. I would then splash the water with my feet. Fiona comes running and has even jumped in a few times when I turn the shower off. My goal is to get her to like playing in the tub, so taking a bath will be playing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 PM

1) For leash training I have had good experiences with an easy walk harness that clips in the front. I have also used techniques like:
-"turning to stone" waiting for the dog to come back towards me and rewarding done
- Walking in the opposite direction if waiting them out is taking too long
- Zig zag walking and constantly changing directions to keep them focused on me
- And I find it useful to click and treat while walking when they are near you and tossing treats out to them (Also in training we also like to use the power of your voice so talking to them even if it sounds stupid like about your day and keep rambling. It is amazing to see how focused dogs become when their owners talk upbeat and ramble)
- I have in desperate times used something like peanut butter on a spoon to keep their head near me and would lift it up and back down to keep them attentive.
* Importantly, even though it can be difficult and you may just want to finish your walk, don't give up and allow her to pull and keep walking in that direction because it can be enforcing the "hmmm when I pull I am rewarded and still go forward, AWESOME! I WILL PULL EVERY TIME"
-Side note: sometimes when I feel annoyed on the walk with the pulling I will just stop and add in some training time for your basic sits and downs
2) For bath time you could start baby steps like rewarding her for just going towards the bathroom, then walking into the bathroom a few times just make it fun and do something other than baths like toss treats or belly rubs and such as long as it is fun for her, then make it a game maybe toss treats into the tub and have her get them and praise her for standing in the tub, fill it with some water and reward her for standing in it for just a few seconds and each time lengthen the time and the process. Or go to a pet store that has a grooming center like Dave's and leash her there, lol that is what I do!

I hope that was helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page