teaching dog to be calm when getting ears cleaned - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

teaching dog to be calm when getting ears cleaned

I'd love to clean my 6mo ears more often but its such a struggle to get him to be still. I try now when he's pretty tired but he still struggles. Any tips for training a dog to be calm while getting ears cleaned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Some dogs, and a LOT of GSDs, just hate having anything done with their ears--I don't know why. Before you try cleaning his ears, just spend a lot of time handling them, massaging them, stroking them, making ear handling a pleasureable experience. Do this while he's sleepy so he doesn't think it's playtime--otherwise you may get your hands chewed on.

As he gets more and more used to having his ears messed with, try sticking a finger in his ear, very gently of course (and don't do it if you have long nails), and get him used to that feeling. When he's well accustomed to having his ears handled, then you can start cleaning. It's a good idea to warm up whatever you're using to clean them with, as many dogs are simply reacting to the cold temperature of whatever is going into the ear. If you have a small bottle of ear cleaner, put it in your pocket for a while. Or use warm water on a washcloth. After cleaning his ears, give him a treat. If you make this a daily regimen, he'll start to look forward to it!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

It also helps to distract them.

Get chez wiz or peanut butter and smear it nose height on the fridge. While he is licking it off, wipe out his ears. Then slowly build to cleaning them.

This helps them have a positive association with ear cleaning. It works very well for nail trims as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page