Girlfriend wants me to get rid of my GS.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Girlfriend wants me to get rid of my GS....

We adopted Ava 11 weeks ago today from a local humane society. My gf's issue is she's being woke up at night due to the dog chasing the cat and they get quite rambunctious. She gave me an ultimatum today that it was Ava or her. We have been slowly working with her on various behaviors she may have picked up at the shelter. But she does chase the cat and it does get very loud. I was hoping to avoid kenneling her at night since she is in the kennel during the day.
Live in a Iron River, Wis but work in Duluth, Minn about 40 miles away. So it is very difficult to find trainers to work with our schedule. What do some of you do stop bad behavior? She does not respond to my aggressive voice or a light tap on the nose when she engages in bad behavior. Do any of you kennel your GS at night? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterrabuzz View Post
We adopted Ava 11 weeks ago today from a local humane society. My gf's issue is she's being woke up at night due to the dog chasing the cat and they get quite rambunctious. She gave me an ultimatum today that it was Ava or her. We have been slowly working with her on various behaviors she may have picked up at the shelter. But she does chase the cat and it does get very loud. I was hoping to avoid kenneling her at night since she is in the kennel during the day.
Live in a Iron River, Wis but work in Duluth, Minn about 40 miles away. So it is very difficult to find trainers to work with our schedule. What do some of you do stop bad behavior? She does not respond to my aggressive voice or a light tap on the nose when she engages in bad behavior. Do any of you kennel your GS at night? Any thoughts?
Can you put a gate up and keep the dog in the room? I'm thinking the cat will most likely stay out of the room if the dog is in there. Or shut the door with the dog in there? Your girlfriend every have any dogs before, rescue dogs? This is definitely not a reason to get rid of a dog. Dogs take time to train and get used to a routine and they really shouldn't be bounced around from place to place. I can honestly say if my boyfriend gave me an ultimatum between him and my dog, I would rather enjoy being single

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM

Put the cat up, instead of the dog? I put my cat in a spare bedroom at night, otherwise my shepherds would chase her around all night long. I would certainly give that a try. It works for me.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

*removed counterproductive*

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 04-08-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: ot
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM

*removed*

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 04-08-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: ot
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Master Member

I would close the door with the dog in the bedroom and the cat in the rest of the house. Cats that I've had never did well being locked in a room, but the dogs would rather be with us at night.

Mr. Eko 2/14/2012 - My first GSD and my little Romeo
Xena 11/30/12 - My first APBT and my little warrior princess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Something has to be done to keep the dog away from the cat. If you continue to let him chase the cat, he might kill it.
I got my dog at eight weeks thinking that we could make it work. So far, the only thing that has worked is having the cat sleep in the guest room at night.
You can't train him to stay away from the cat if he's allowed to run around unsupervised with it.
I'm sorry to hear about the girlfriend's ultimatum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

create her at night. Make sure that she gets plenty of exercise after you come home and before bed. Work with training her and get her mind worn out.
That will have double good effects of keeping her quieter at night and making her less likely to chase the cat in general
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM

*removed*

APRIL

NIKO-9-12-02
12-17-13

GUNNER-11-07-13

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 04-08-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: ot
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Knighted Member

*removed*

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 04-08-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: ot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page