Trainer conflict - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Trainer conflict

Ive been doing training with my pup since 8 weeks,she almost 17 weeks now. She learned sit and down and come using treats and Micheal Ellis dvd's. A couple weeks ago we started what is called puppy class but its strictly obedience. We all enter the ring and do heels, sits , down, recalls, and mix that up a bit. She does great at the class, sits hard, elbows hit the floor for downs, and heels well with treats leading her. And ive ramped up home training with sitting to cross thresholds or out the crate, and she great at staying with food on the floor till I say yes or ok. Also weve been doing outs of tugs since the start, I never had to force her mouth open, just hold the toy very still.

I went to a shutzhund club this week and the trainer wants me to go backwards and just drive into me instead of asking her to do anything. He asked me to show obedience and when she paused a second to sit he just had me feeding her. Also he got a bit upset that I asked her to out the tug because he "wants to set her up for success and not failure"
Any experienced opinions? Im probably never gonna get deep into shutzhund sport but titling is a possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

A lot of the puppy work in Schutzhund is developing drive, attitude, engagement, enthusiasm for work. Precise, controlled obedience will come later, as an extension of that drive and enthusiasm. Pups needs to feel that they are in charge of the game, and making things happen. This builds confidence in them. Your control is subtle, timed to make it look like pup made the decisions on her own, and made the right decision. This also builds confidence for decision making and working at a distance from you.

For example, making him out the tug soon after winning it, may give her the message that she wasn't supposed to have it in the first place. This doubt may translate into soft, shallow grips. By letting her possess the tug, you making believe you want it, but not strong/fast enough to get it back from her, will build her satisfaction on having and owning the tug - increases its value, making her work harder to get it next time.

Pet obedience classes are great for learning how to train a dog, but the aim is simply to teach certain exercises and to have the dogs comply. Schutzhund is developing a working mentality. Follow your Schutzhund trainer's advice and way of working. Some of this may not make much sense right now, but there is method to all that madness, and you will get to see the results down the line.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Crowned Member

Your trainer starting you over is not un common. Every trainer has a plan and they need to set you up correctly for their plan. Also pet type obedience is not the same as competition obedience. So even though you were using Mike Ellis videos doesn't mean that it was done correctly (your still doing yourself and could have cause issues you didn't even know could be issues). If your foundation is there then your puppy will move on quickly so don't worry about it. As long as you trust this trainer that is.

Outing your dog can cause it to come out of drive. When training puppies and young dogs we want them in as high as drive as possible. That's all I can think of at the moment on your situation. Oh and I'm not saying to have not taught an out yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
A lot of the puppy work in Schutzhund is developing drive, attitude, engagement, enthusiasm for work. Precise, controlled obedience will come later, as an extension of that drive and enthusiasm. Pups needs to feel that they are in charge of the game, and making things happen. This builds confidence in them. Your control is subtle, timed to make it look like pup made the decisions on her own, and made the right decision. This also builds confidence for decision making and working at a distance from you.

For example, making him out the tug soon after winning it, may give her the message that she wasn't supposed to have it in the first place. This doubt may translate into soft, shallow grips. By letting her possess the tug, you making believe you want it, but not strong/fast enough to get it back from her, will build her satisfaction on having and owning the tug - increases its value, making her work harder to get it next time.

Pet obedience classes are great for learning how to train a dog, but the aim is simply to teach certain exercises and to have the dogs comply. Schutzhund is developing a working mentality. Follow your Schutzhund trainer's advice and way of working. Some of this may not make much sense right now, but there is method to all that madness, and you will get to see the results down the line.
This was said much better than I did.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ive done out as a game, I hold it still and say out and when she does I say yes and then move the tug and its more funtime/repeat. I was definitely messing up by using the word out for bad things like poop as well. Ill use leave it more consistently for that kind of stuff.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

why do i see humor in usuing the word "out" in conjunction
with the word "poop" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Ive done out as a game, I hold it still and say out and when she does I say yes and then move the tug and its more funtime/repeat. I was definitely messing up by

>>>>> using the word out for bad things like poop<<<<

as well. Ill use leave it more consistently for that kind of stuff.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

She eats poop.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That's great that she has a consistent and reliable out already, and kudos for training it in a fun, positive manner. That is a very good way to start things off.

That she outs on command, is a good thing. But don't out her too often in the early stages of bitework. It will create a chewy, insecure bite. Let her savor the victory of getting her tug!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, weve since quit the regular obedience class, too akc oriented. We went to our second shutz tonight. The last time the trainer didnt really want to see her doing obedience and told me to have her drive into my hand. Tonight we did that a bit to me she seemed focused, and then I asked for some sits and downs. I guess she didnt hit the floor a few times and I kinda got yelled at for free treats.
It was goofy because it all worked out different than at home. At home I only give one tiny treat at a time and require butt or elbows on the floor for sit and down. Were low on treats so today I used kibble which she loves but I was feeding in bulk vs usual. At the training I overfed looking for her to drive into my hand and such and wasnt strict on withholding until the move was performed because last time he didnt want strictness.
The original title still applies.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Actually I thought it said trainer confusion. Im confused not conflicted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page