Training Recall, leave it and drop it (give/release) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Training Recall, leave it and drop it (give/release)

My pup is now 7 months old. We went to puppy head start and now we are going to the first basic obe. class. I really like my trainer but she does go in "baby steps" and I really need to train recall, leave it and drop it now.

Its been a while (17-19 years) since I had to train a puppy and for the life of me can't remember how I successfully taught these commands in the past. So if you have any training tips I would appreciate you passing them on. Or training books/dvd's. I plan on working on my own with these commands as they are needed now .

He knows, sit, down, stay, wait, off, crate, shake.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

Recall - get a long leash, allow him some freedom then call him. If he doesn't come right away give a tug on the line and talk excitedly to him as he comes to you. BIG party when he's in arm reach, give lots of love and praise then send out again. Do it again and again until he realizes that coming to you when called gets really great rewards. Also, I can't stress this enough - NEVER do a recall and punish. If the dog anticipates that coming to you may have bad consequences then it will never be 100%.

So for example the dog is running offleash and you call him and he doesn't listen, you get mad and call him repeatedly until he finally does come and scold him when he comes. First mistake, never let him offleash until you've got a reliable recall and he understands what's required. Second mistake, even if you had to call twice he DID come so don't give him as big of a reward as if he came in the first place but do mark the behaviour even if it's a simple pat and "good boy"

Leave it - easiest way I use, face the dog with a treat in a clenched fist. Say the command once then allow the dog to sniff and lick your hand but don't reward until they back off. Mark and reward. They should quickly learn that moving away from the object is the key, you can graduate then to lowering your hand until it's on the ground. Then palm up and treat on the open hand on the ground, then drop the treat on the ground.

Drop it - I use a two reward system, either a treat and toy combo, or two toy combo. Give the dog one of the toys, then offer the other toy/treat and shake it to make it enticing. When the dog drops the current toy in favour of the new one, mark and reward with the new toy/treat. Do it a few times until they drop it easily, then use the command and gently tug on the toy in the mouth to encourage the rapid drop and mark.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

You've had your pup since it was 13 weeks. You already have a recall..leave it...and drop it. Now you need to proof it.

Carry treats with you 100% of the time. When you're in the house and you call your pup to you say, "Come!" and reward.

Instead of saying "NO!" when your pup tries to eat your shoes or rug or arm or feet..you say "Leave it!" and reward.

I didn't teach "Drop it". I taught "Bring it". If my pooch has something he isn't supposed to, I want him to bring it to me. I put out my hand, when he gives it to me (will drop it on the ground for a long time at first) I'll provide a reward.

If I'm playing tug and I want my dog to let go, I'll say "out". I'll reward when he complies.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I will be incorporating your suggestions today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page