4 Month Old GSD HELPPP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

4 Month Old GSD HELPPP

So about a month or so I got a GSD puppy. He's pure bred. However my problem with him is, he is really excited every time he goes to be fed, won't sit down and wait for me to put the food down, he basically takes it out of my hands and the other thing is when he is on a leash, he grabs the leash and basically walks himself. Can anyone give me any tips on how to fix these few things. Thanks in advance! It's driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

I would recommend finding a good trainer and start going to obedience classes, that would help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
I would recommend finding a good trainer and start going to obedience classes, that would help
I'm going to get a trainer for obedience classes but for now there is nothing that I myself can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Elite Member

what do you do when he wont sit down for his food? or what do you do when he grabs the leash?

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

Have him carry a toy when you are on walks. Feed him from your hand, not a bowl(or use his meals as training treat/rewards)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

for the leash thing I would suggest you have him on a leash all the time in the house so he gets use to it

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Do you have a crate? Feed him in his crate. Put him in there before you get his bowl. Then when you bring it to him don't give it to him until he settles down. You can tell him to sit, if he knows the command, and wait until he sits calmly then open the door. If he gets crazy again, shut the door. Keep doing this until when you open the door he remains sitting nicely. Then put the food down. Close the door and walk away. It may take a long time the first time or two but he'll catch on. Patience is key.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
for the leash thing I would suggest you have him on a leash all the time in the house so he gets use to it
Would a choke chain help? Or something besides a regular leash? As for the food problem I haven't been able to do anything he sits when he sees the food in my hands but as soon as I take a step to put it in his crate he doesn't wait.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
Do you have a crate? Feed him in his crate. Put him in there before you get his bowl. Then when you bring it to him don't give it to him until he settles down. You can tell him to sit, if he knows the command, and wait until he sits calmly then open the door. If he gets crazy again, shut the door. Keep doing this until when you open the door he remains sitting nicely. Then put the food down. Close the door and walk away. It may take a long time the first time or two but he'll catch on. Patience is key.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yeah I have a crate. I haven't tried this but I must certainly will. Usually he is out of the crate when I get his food. So I will most definitely try this!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

For feeding time, he has now made a mental association: go crazy, jump on my person = I get food, I get it even faster when I grab it myself.

There is a chain of behaviour and reward set up for him, and he truly believes with all his heart that his behaviour is what gets him the food. So the trick is, to give him a change of heart. Now he will have to accidently find out that a different behaviour will get him the food, and he will want to hang on to his old behaviours, as that has worked for him so far. He will find out that what will work from now on, is to sit and wait quietly.

So at feeding time, be patient and wait him out. Ignore him, let him have a bit of a crazy time, stand there not reacting. Don't look at him. Don't acknowledge him, don't say a word, tune him out, draw your energy inwards. At first, he will get worse! as he tries desperately to do what he thinks he is supposed to do. "Hey! HEY!!! LOOK at me!!! I'm doing it all!!! I'm doing the FEED ME dance!!! LOOK! Can't you see!!!"

Wait, wait, wait . . . (wear jeans and thick clothes so you can ignore his crazyness easier). At one point, he will stop to think about what is going on. the INSTANT he has stopped, is standing with four feet on the ground, be quick and put his food down. AHA! He did something different, and he got fed! His little brain just got a jolt.

Next time, he will have forgotten everything, and will be acting crazy again. Again, wait him out - this time, something in his brain will send a signal that his dance isn't working a bit sooner than last time. He will stop and think about it "Hey, how come my jumping on you isn't getting me the food?". Again, be calm, and quick to reward.

with repetition (two, three times a day?), the jumping will be shorter, the standing still will come faster. Then he has to stand still longer. One second, then he gets rewarded. Then two, three seconds. etc. If he breaks and starts grabbing, jumping again, go back to being a statue.

In about a week, if you are consistent, there should be a big difference in how your pup acts when the food bowl comes out. In a week of when he waits for you consistently, you can start asking for a sit (reward him right away after the sit). As you do training aside from the feedings, he will learn to sit stay. When you feel he is solid, have him sit and hold his sit as you get his food and bring it to him - but don't rush this part. Give him time to re-program his brain from "jumping around and snatching is what gets me the food" to "waiting without moving is what gets me the food".

As for the walks, if he isn't pulling on the leash, I would let him carry it, but that is personal preference. At this age, I'd just be happy that he WANTS to go on walks, and wants to carry something.

If he really likes to carry things, maybe he can carry a ball or toy on his walks? Then he won't be able to grab the leash.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page