How do you train YOUR PARTNER with the puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

How do you train YOUR PARTNER with the puppy?

Ok so I havent really seen this topic. If there are answers somewhere, please point me to them.

Here is my problem: New puppy (first puppy for me, but 4th dog). My boyfriend though, has never had a dog. His only experience was with my senior Border Collie - who he loved dearly after awhile.

Now the puppy is a whole other issue. He has no clue on training, and isnt too interested in my input. Why he's not I'm not sure... so I'm trying my best to let him "figure it out" on his own. Its not working so well.

I thought he'd learn that rough housing, and playing with his hands only winds up in puppy bites (and then he's angry). But seems to not be getting to him. He plays, then gets mad when he's bit and is done.

So what I have now is: SUPER EXCITED PUPPY when he comes around, rough housing for 2 minutes, puppy bites, BF angry and stomps off to his office.

WAY FUN.

What I AM trying to do is: When BF gets up in the morning, or comes home from work - I distract puppy with treats & training. This is working OK but she still LEAPS away, jumps on him, then rushes back to me for sit/down/treat. I guess I should put her on a leash. I try to encourage him to train with her, and he will, begrudgingly for a bit, but it is not often enough.

I am trying my best and realize we need a frank discussion. Any insights on how to deal with this?

(Puppy is a HIGHLY ACTIVE, mouthy, confident Duck Toller 18 weeks right now - we've had her 10 weeks)

~ ~ ~ Melissa, Emme (A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!), and 4 Cats ~ ~ ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM

Maybe suggest he take the puppy for outside training? Hearing the advice from a pro trainer might make him listen. I took my pup to training and tried to share what I learned with my hubby and he never listened. Now he comes to all classes and it really helps.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

Is this a good boy friend? He doesn't respect you while you are bending over backwards to appease him. And there will be more to come. Trust me, it is my own experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I hope to get him to come to some classes when they start up. He works a lot so it can be difficult to schedule with him.

Wolfy - I appreciate that insight! He is a good boyfriend, mostly! We both have a bad case of cabin fever, need winter to end, and stress at work. So that compounds with everything else. A good discussion regarding puppy training will be happening soon. I take his advice on say, car repairs (which he knows about, I do not!), so he should take my advice on puppy play.

It is frustrating, for sure. I guess this is more of a vent... Though I appreciate any advice! I know I simply need to communicate better to him what he needs to do and not do. I feel bad though because he LIKES to play with the puppy... but not when he gets bit. But if he played properly, he wouldn't... She doesnt act like this with me, because of course I am the caretaker, trainer, and everything else. He's just a big play toy.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Knighted Member

I've been with my husband almost 25 years, when it comes to training or handing the dogs, its all me. No matter what I would "suggest" would turn into some sort of "disagreement" or whatever you would like to call it. I tried printing articles, inviting him to class for which he really didn't have time for. It seemed that anything I said got him annoyed, like I'm some sort of know it all. I guess the countless hours I spend here or reading about dog stuff and all the classes I've been to shouldn't count for anything.
However if its some sort of information he happens to stumble across the information becomes valid and he is usually proud to share it with me, I just nod, smile and say oh.
Don't get me wrong, I love him but I train the dogs and he's happy giving them a little love and attention.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

OH gosh Kiya, thank you for sharing!!! I feel a little bit better that maybe this isn't just "me"!! Maybe I should try harder to not let it bother me.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah, ignore him. It's the only way, lol. I used to get upset because my DH wouldn't use the proper words, but now I just point out that GSDs are so gosh darn smart, they can understand the difference between a feminine voice and a masculine one, so the same word can mean 2 different things, lmao. It's so much easier now.

The biting while playing thing was an issue here too, since DH had never seen a landshark before. He used to get mad, and I'd tell him if he didn't want to get bitten, then just don't let him bite you! We had dozens of squeekies, tugs, balls, plushies and bones lying everywhere for the puppy - just grab one when you see him racing towards you, lol! And grab a bunch because he's coming back for more!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM

"BF angry and stomps off to his office"......I hate to say this, but not good - for both puppy and you.

How is he when he is angry at you?

Also keep in mind if your serious about him, how he behaves towards the puppy may be how he behaves towards kids if you want them?

He needs to be involved with the training, and listen to and respect your direction. (if not please look long and hard at the situation) so neither of you get hurt.

If you were my daughter I would suggest you re-consider the boyfriend. His behavior to me is a sign of things to come - sorry.

Also please post a pick of your pup.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Powerscol - Thank you for your advice - it appreciated and considered. "angry and stomps off" means he's annoyed he got chomped on (yeah it hurts), and if he's in his office the puppy cant get to him because that portion of the house is blocked off. He's not angry at me. It bothers me that he can't come enjoy the living room with the puppy & myself because he doesn't know how to deal with her (or wont..)

He's a good guy...just not good at dealing with this. No kids! We have out hands full with cats & dogs. :-)

Photos attached! Sorry no GSD here but she is AWFULLY cute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toller caption.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	52794   Click image for larger version

Name:	em-fly.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	52802   Click image for larger version

Name:	ready.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	52810  

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Sorry I don't really have any advice. Just wanted to say she is adorable!!

Bree

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page