Advice, help, encouragement.... anything - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Advice, help, encouragement.... anything

Ao our new furball is going to be his own demise. This is night 4 and this little guy is showing absolutely no sign of breaking. He screams bloody murder ALL NIGHT. We tried crating him in our bedroom next to the bed but he screamed. We have to now crate him in the sunroom clear across the house.

we cant have this pup doing this and will give him up if he cant break this. Advice will be appreciated.

See Justice at Dogster!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

Hang in there is all I can say! 4 days done, he will settle down soon! I know you if you're crate training it is not a good idea, but we let Cody snuggle with us, no screaming!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
x11
Banned

blanket with yr scent on it? warm water bottle? music? wish i could help, realise yr at yr wits end but hearing about a puppy screaming all night and the new owner thinking in terms of breaking him or re-homing just tears me up.

would you even consider just letting the little fella loose in yr room - will get a few accidents but is that such a big deal??

i can't get my head aroud this whole crate obsession thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

There are lots of threads on this if you do a search. This is super common. He's just been separated from his family and all he knows and he is scared and lonely. You can try putting him in the bed with you and then placing him in his crate (right next to your bed) when he falls asleep. Try putting your fingers in his crate too so that he can smell you're right there. Some people sleep on the floor right next to the crate.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Was pretty bad the first week for us too. His crate is in the second living room and we kept the door open so he can see us while in the crate. I changed a few things after 5 days that seemed to help a lot. I took out the pillow and blanket in his crate and just put a towel on the bottom. We also closed the door to leaving it just opened a crack, plus turned on the closet light.
Maybe change something up to see if it will help.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM

Good luck Brother. It's his personality, as I have a new pup, 5 days now & he did the exact same thing the 1st 2 days or so. He was fine as long as he's running free w/ the family but as soon as he went into the crate he did the same thing. He eventually stopped & it's been great since. I'm sure your new pup w/ do the same.

Tinú
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Knighted Member

A puppy is just a baby and I feel bad for him if you are ready to give him up because he has been crying at night. I hope you were just exaggerating... The dog has been taken away from his litter, mother, and the only people he has known- don't you think he might be a little afraid, nervous, anxious, etc? I slept on the floor with my arm in my dog's crate the first two nights he was home and that helped a lot.

What have you done to crate train so far? Have you done anything to get him used to the crate? Do you put anything in there that smells like you?

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Banned

come on, you had your pup for 4 days and you're concidering
getting rid of him. what are you going to do when it comes to training
and it takes some time doing the samething over and over. if you're
thinking about getting rid a of a pup that you owned for 4 days
i think you need to think about if you're really dog people, if you're
dog worthy. if you take the time and properly train and socialize
your pup the pleasure you'll receive in future is unbelievable.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Knighted Member

Putting a blanket on the top of the crate and also one in the crate worked good for us, along with ignoring for about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. It will get better.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM

If you can't deal with 4 loud nights, what are you going to do when the dog has real issues? Maybe, you should look for a new home now, when your dog has a greater chance of finding a good place. Puppies are really not for everybody, and sometimes it's better to be honest and recognize that this might not be for you.

My Maltese screamed her head off for 2 weeks straight with the crate beside my bed. I finally had to sleep on the floor with my hand in the crate, and she stopped. Sadly, I did this for almost a month before she was fine. Again, if you are not able or willing to do that, there's really no shame in admitting that a puppy is not for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page