Training pup to go potty in designated area. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Mog

Training pup to go potty in designated area.

Okay... so I've been trying to get Maximus to go potty in a designated area. It's an area that is outlined in stone and has dirt in it. I've only been able to get him to go potty (pee) once in that area. I sat there with the leash on and he gets so adamanat about going in that area (when he has to go), that he will pull and yank on the leash to try and get to the grassy area right next to it. He goes fine on the grass, but that's not what I want obviously

On one side is grass, on the other is dirt right now, but will have elephant ears, etc... growing there. He will even go there, so it's not a matter of the grass only, but he will not go in this "stoned off area" for some reason.

I was going to remove the stones and see if that makes a difference.

I can't believe how much he fights to get to the grassy area, or the dirt area outside of the stone area... I sat there last night for 45 minutes, knowing he hasn't gone potty in 2 hours and he fought so hard, I felt bad he was going to hurt himself, we walked 6 feet to the grass and he went...

It's almost like he's scared to go pee in this area...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I really want him to use this designated area, but not sure what the problem is.

Alex & Brianna (daughter)

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 7/14/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Mog

Here's a picture to the area I'm referring to.

If you look at the dirt below the stone area, he has no problem going there.

And just above and to the left of the picnic table, is all grass that he has no problem going on.

I just can't get him to go in the stone area...

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Can you put one of his poops on the area where you want him to go so he knows its OK to go there? If he's only gone on grass, its going to be tougher to train him to go on a different surface, but it can be done. I know it sounds harsh, but you have to be more stubborn than him or he'll keep going where he wants to in my opinion. Can you treat when he goes in the right spot, or like housebreaking, interrupt and bring him back to the area you want him to pee in, then praise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM

He is unlikely to hurt himself by holding it that long but he did just learn that it is possible to outwait you. Every time you give in and walk him over to the grass makes it less likely you will succeed the next time around.

Some dogs don't like going on a bare surface like that. It's actually better to have something else there anyway. The surface will get disgusting over time no matter how well drained your soil is and then he will again become reluctant to use it.

Try using mulch of some sort. Ask your breeder what he is used to going on - mine was used to cedar mulch but in the end I ended up transplanting a patch of sod in the middle of the bathroom area. That's what broke the seal for good and it didn't matter when the sod died. By then he was firmly in the habit.

I like to dig out the area a little, put some lime down (neutralizes ph and helps with smell), put playground sand on top, and then mulch on that. The mulch gradually dissappears as I clean up the solid waste and I redo the whole thing a couple times year.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Like martinaa says! Keep him in that area.And mulch works for us great too. But needs to be replace. We have bigger poop area so i usually repace mulch every 3 .months and rake it between
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Forgot to add. What about some sort of removable fence. I use one to protect my flowers. It is not high i think knee hight and can be push to the ground.So max can be in without the leash and no way out, until he goes. Sorry i'm on my phone otherwise i would post picture. Hope you know what i meen. (english is my second language, so can be hard to make myself cleare)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Mog

Jessac, I was going to do that, but he tested positive for Giardia and coccidia, so I dispost of the waste right away. Just dont' want to chance it. He hasn't pooped twice in the same area yet, so not sure if that would help. Will try though once he's done with his meds in 6 days.

Martinaa and andrea, thanks... I was thinking about putting mulch down and then maybe a few strips of sod in the middle to get him used to it. I have the lime, maybe I'll turn it over, add some sand and mulch on top and see how that goes. I just picked up some seed today to reseed some spots in the yard and was thinking about seeding that area and seeing how that goes (in a few weeks, it should be full)

I agree, he figured he could out wait me... I'm fighting a cold, it was 38 degrees and my daughter (4) needed me in the house, so finally I gave up I just wasn't sure why he might not like the area and actually fight/refuse to use it... maybe a few strips of sod, with seed around them... we'll see.

I'll email the breeder and see what he was used to going on.

Thanks!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Mog

I found out what the problem was. I contacted the breeder and the pups were used to going on the grass. So I went to Home Depot over the weekend and bought some strips of sod and he had no problem going in his area, with the sod there. I also raked out the area round the sod and put seed down, so hopefully that will be enough.

He's never been in a rush to poop, so I can't get him to go in that area yet, but that won't kill the grass and is easy to clean up. I'll keep working on him with that, but as long as he urinates in the area, I'll be happy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page