Teaching a pup with low food drive, but high prey drive... need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Mog

Teaching a pup with low food drive, but high prey drive... need advice

Hi all,

Well, Maximus has been home for 5 days now, he was 8 weeks old yesterday. I wanted to spend 5 minutes here and there throughout the day teaching him to sit. When I use treats, he stays engaged for 2 minutes or so and then loses interest in the treats. I've tried several different types, even home made liver treats (which I don't want to give him too much of) and nothing keeps him engaged.

He has a HIGH prey drive, but all the prepping I did was on how to treat with a food drive, which his doesn't seem to be too high. I've tried trianing before feeding time, so he would be hungry, doesn't make a difference. I'd love to be able to food train, as all the research i've done, was based on it, assuming all pups have a food drive.

So... any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alex & Brianna (daughter)

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 7/14/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Knighted Member

Doesn't he have worms? Is he on medication? Wait till he is better and you will probably notice a difference. Try small, moist, smelly treats. Diced beef, chicken breast, cheese, BilJac or NB food rolls.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Mog

The fecal test didn't show worms... but he is on anti-biotics for Gar and Coc. He has not problem eating his raw meals He loves those. I have all the flavors of Zukes and Pet Botanic's treats. And again, he enjoys them, but loses interested.

If I get one of his squeeky toys, rags, pull rags, etc... he'll go nuts for that as long as I play with him.

He doesn't seem sick at all, he's a very hyper, high drive pup... just for toys though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Knighted Member

Take it slow. At 8 weeks his training activities should not be more than two min anyway. Trust me, that pup will way up one day!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned

Him playing with you doesn't necessarily mean high prey drive. It just means he likes to play.

Find a treat...or a human food...that the dog goes bonkers for. Each one of our dogs has something they really really love no matter what their level of food drive. If I really want my boy's attention...I use semi-frozen pieces of raw meat, cheese, or some sort of turkey/ham. Dog treats don't always do it for him as he gets those all the time anyways.

2 minutes sounds just about right for the attention span of a puppy. My dog is 2.5 years old and he wouldn't like me to train him the same exercise (especially one as boring as sit) for 5 minutes either and would get bored really fast. Keep training sessions really really short. 3 sits, 3 downs, 3 paws, and you're done. None of the sit...stand...sit...stand...sit...stand for any extended period of time.

Trust me...your dog will learn the commands...but if you make it boring from the beginning, he's not going to want to do them with any kind of speed or accuracy later on.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Mog

Thanks, I tried to make them fun and only worked on sit. I doubt it was 5 minutes, closer to 2-3 before he lost interest, so that's when I stopped I let him chase me around, treat in hand and when he got close, I stopped, he wanted the treat in my closedhand and said sit. When he sat, he got the treat.

martemchik, I could be wrong, but Max has two toys that if you ran them around the ground, he would chase them until he passed out. (not that I ever let it get that far) One is a grey squirrel looking thing with a squeeker in the tale and the other being his flirt pole. He plays, but when he's chasing his squirel or flirt pole, it's a different pup... total land shark and concentration on the object.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Hi all,

Well, Maximus has been home for 5 days now, he was 8 weeks old yesterday. I wanted to spend 5 minutes here and there throughout the day teaching him to sit. When I use treats, he stays engaged for 2 minutes or so and then loses interest in the treats. I've tried several different types, even home made liver treats (which I don't want to give him too much of) and nothing keeps him engaged.

He has a HIGH prey drive, but all the prepping I did was on how to treat with a food drive, which his doesn't seem to be too high. I've tried trianing before feeding time, so he would be hungry, doesn't make a difference. I'd love to be able to food train, as all the research i've done, was based on it, assuming all pups have a food drive.

So... any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My dog also has low food drive but high prey drive. He absolutely loves any type of squeaky stuffed animal toy, so what I've done is I've bought a couple of small'ish squeaker toys, and I use those as the "reward". They have to be small enough that you can ball them up in your hand so your pup can't get to them. Then you make him do whatever command you're asking, and once he's done it correctly, toss him the toy! When you get to the point of foosing or other long-duration commands, it's no different. The toy just becomes the reward instead of food.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Mog

Thanks Vickip. That's sort of what I was guessing... I'll have to go out and find some toys small enough that I can ball up in my hand.

He may have a higher food drive than I thought. I bought a bunch of Zukes treats and botanicals, which he will eat, but doesn't go nuts over like his toys. But I had some sirloin that I cut up and froze a while back for treats and I tried that and he really liked them.

I think since he's eating RAW, the treats are going to have to be really tempting to him.

I'll try both small toys and high quality (beef) treats for him and see how that goes.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

Use a toy. Build the value of a reward coming from you and it will build the food drive.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

At 8 weeks old don't expect more than 2-3 minutes. They are babies. Keep it short and fun and stop before he does. That will make him want to engage more. Also you can build food drive a little by first making the puppy "drive" for the food. Also do it multiple times a day when you know he's hungry. It's much easier timing wise to use treats at this age than a toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page