Natty Boh Graduated!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Natty Boh Graduated!!!

Natty Boh graduated from puppy class on March 12th. Thank goodness that class is over. I got some mixed reactions, when I posted about his first class. Here is the link. https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ppy-class.html

The very first class. I complained about the trainer blowing compressed air in Natty Boh's face for barking. I complained about the trainers techniques. Some of you chastised me for not having a better idea of the type of class I was getting into. I don't disagree. That will never happen again. Actually, after this trainer I may never go to another class.

Some of you told me I should listen to the trainer and do things her way. One person accused me of learning training from things I read on an internet forum. LOL! That is hilarious, because I have been training dogs since I was a Kid. I was born in 1958. We didn't have internet forums. I was even accused of being a quitter.

Well, I didn't quit. I stuck it out. I made it clear to the trainer that she was not to touch my dog. If only my classmates had done the same. In class one, the airedale "Skye" was dragged back and forth across the floor. Class 2 Skye was dragged back and forth across the floor and then the leash was put behind her rear legs to lift her. Neither technique made Skye walk. Class 3, a very timid golden was used as the demo dog for "down". The trainer walked the golden briskly, then stopped and shouted "DOWN!" She did this three times. The golden hit the floor as if she had been beaten and every time she peed on the floor. The last class, there was a doodle who was not normally in my class. We were to do a downstay. I put Boh in a downstay at heel, walked to the end of my 6 foot leash facing him, while he continued to stay. The doodle was having trouble. I couldn't see him, but I could here the trainer yell at him. "Down, Down, Stay, I said Down, not Heel!" When I could face front again, the doodle was down. He looked confused, scared and sad.

Most of you did agree with me, but I didn't base my decisions on anyone else's opinion. I stuck to my gut. I would never do something to hurt my dog. I may not have formal training, but I know what makes sense. I know how to get my dog to do what I need him to do. I know if my dog doesn't understand what I want, I am doing something wrong and need to try something else. What a bitter taste this left in my mouth.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

oh my goodness...those poor dogs. So glad you told her to keep your hands off your Natty Boh!

Congratulations to you and Natty Boy!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, what a class and previous thread.

We are protectors of our dogs, you established your boundries with the trainer, then completed the class.

Big congrats to you and your boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations on the graduation and sticking to your guns

Don't worry, both the puppy class and basic obedience classes I went to had issues. Thankfully there was never any abuse like you're describing and both times he graduated with great praise from the trainers but I wasn't really thrilled. I'm sticking to private classes from now on with Delgado, I've lost patience with other owners and trainers. Puppy class I may or may not do depending on future dogs and the trainer involved

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Crowned Member

Holy wow - I hope that people might have learned from your example. Congrats on finishing up!!!!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks guys. Boh got his piece of paper. I tried to help my classmates. Neither the doodle nor the golden were in my regular classes. I did talk to Skye's owner. I asked if she wouldn't walk, because she didn't like the floor. He admitted the floor was a problem. It was made of rubber tiles. I asked if she would walk for treats. He said, "Yes, but the trainer said I couldn't use them." We agreed that we didn't like Skye's treatment. He put a harness on Skye. She walked much better and the trainer did not touch her again.

One woman in my class thought dogs sniffing butts was a bad thing. Two of us explained to her that butt to butt is much better than nose to nose. No wonder her dog has some minor DA issues. I'm not sure if she believed us, as we told her this outside of class and we are not trainers.

Another gem I learned in class was the art of cleaning up dog poop. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I always considered myself a pooper scooper pro. Accident in the house? Pick it up with a newspaper bag. Wipe up the floor with cleaner and a papertowel. WRONG! We were taught the correct way to clean up dog poo. You need two sheets of paper. Slide the paper under the poop, so you don't mash it into the floor. Dump it into the trash can. Well, that was a first for me. YUCK!. Think I'll keep doing it the wrong way.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Major Congrats to the Nat-ster! Great job!!! I'm glad you stuck through it, if for nothing else but build up your confidence level. Learning just because someone calls themselves a trainer, doens't mean they are one.

I do hope you try to find another class - another trainer - maybe something like Rally or Flyball. Something fun and enjoyable for the both of you. Natty Boh might find his true calling!!!!!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations to you and Natty Boh. I think the most important thing you can do is twofold 1) train your dog so he is protected and 2) protect ypour dog so they see learning as great fun. Its the same w/ kids and I think its a tough task to balance. You did both for your pup. I know people will disagree but I think dogs know when we set limits not just w/ them but w/ people and how they treat our canine family members. Nice job. I felt sad when you described the dooodle. Ive met quite a few and they are usually happy go lucky.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Congratulations to you and Natty Boh. I think the most important thing you can do is twofold 1) train your dog so he is protected and 2) protect ypour dog so they see learning as great fun. Its the same w/ kids and I think its a tough task to balance. You did both for your pup. I know people will disagree but I think dogs know when we set limits not just w/ them but w/ people and how they treat our canine family members. Nice job. I felt sad when you described the dooodle. Ive met quite a few and they are usually happy go lucky.
I completely agree. The doodle was a big sweet goofball. He did not deserve what he got. The reason he couldn't do the downstay is because nobody worked with him at home. He shouldn't be punished for that.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah Natty Boh!!! Yeah Jan!!!
Great job and good for you to stickin to your guns on the training

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page