My friend asked "Why do you crate?" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

My friend asked "Why do you crate?"

Hi all,

My friend, who has had several dogs, asked me why I crated my 2 GSDs?

Honestly, I went completely blank. Of course after the incident, I knew it is primarily because of the overall safety when I cannot supervise my dogs. She thought it was cruel and something she would not do with her dog she said.

Any comment is appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 AM

I used to ask the same question (in fact I did on this forum) until I owned a GSD. Point taken.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing that, it is much appreciated.

She said she also owned a mastiff and never crated that dog she said, I guess back in the day it was standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 AM

I have a boxer that I've never crated. In the past I've also had a pit bull, aussie, lab, and a couple gsd crosses (not with as much gsd temperament) and lived with a dalmation. I have never seen the damage I have come home to with a bored/separation anxious gsd puppy/teen/???
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Wow!

I think I'm getting a better understanding about the GSD breed - they're quite unique if I read your thread! If I'm correct they have more drive than most other breeds then?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 AM
Elite Member

You know, growing up I had dogs that were never crated. Our family dog (shes mine now though) is 16 and wasnt ever, and still is not crated. When shopping for a GSD, a crate was the first thing I bought. I guess I never thought twice about it. Luckily I did crate train him, because he can't be trusted around the cats. And GSD's are just so much more intelligent than some breeds, that if home alone and bored, can let their minds get the best of them. I figure, hes safer in the crate, the cats are safer, and the house is safer. I really appreciate his crate and it is anything but cruel (just ask him - he friggen LOVES his crate...not even kidding..)

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thx for sharing your info! And, yes, after reading your thread I realized that our GSDs are in the top 3 of the most intelligent dog. I recall my mam saying the same thing about crating is cruel - until one day she had to babysit our now 14 month old Pebbles

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You have to consider also that a crated dog is not going to experience as much stress when it goes to the veterinarian, or drives in a car.

I have seen the destruction and some dogs seem to be that way moreso than others. I have had some crate free (with the door open so they could come and go as they please) at 6 months.

I have one who will be 2 in July and if he were not crated, he would probably be dead due to his insatiable curiosity. Fortunately he is just a destructo dog - no separation anxiety - calm cool and collected in his crate. He just figures out ways to get into places he shouldn't (most recent opening a door) cuz boys just want to have fun.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Elite Member

I used to get so mad at my brother for crating, until I got my pup and learned more about it =) last night he came in from outside jumped on the bad, we cuddled for 2 minutes until the shark mode turned on, and off to the crate he went!

Ruby {SG1, VP1, VP3 USCA Sieger Show, Kati Von den Oher Tannen} - Red/Black 11-15-2013
Zeus {Ymka Von den Oher Tannen, CGC} - Red/Black 01-07-2013
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM

I started crating because of potty training/ giving me a break/ safety when I'm not home. Now, when I say "go to your crate" he happily goes in for his daily naps. I think he likes it because when he's in his crate, he's 'off duty.' When we let him nap outside his crate, he still keeps tabs on us and moves with us, etc. So he relaxes and gets better sleep in his crate I think. At night, when were sleeping, he seems to do OK sleeping out of his crate since there's less activity. He's 6mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page