First Break Through - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

First Break Through

I'm alittle excited that I finally have had my first breakthrough training my 8 wk old pup Cruz. He has been a handful since we got him a week agao. We've been trying to potty train him. With most of the mistakes being our fault he has done pretty well. Persistance pays off.

But he has a problem listening. He seems to be in his own world at times. Liking to do what he wants to do. For instance, here is the break through I mentioned. When we feed him, he knows where the water and food comes from and thats the counter top. He would relentlessly jump and paw the cabinets. I finally used the ignoring trick on him. I told him down and when he would jump and paw the cabinet, I would imediately turn and walk a foot away with my back to him ignoring him. I had to do this about four or five times and he finally figured out that I didn't want him to paw the cabinet. He even stopped crying and whining.

Now if I can figure out a way to get him to stop chewing and grabbing barefeet, pantlegs, shoe strings, fingers, socked feet, the couch, the carpet, and whatever else he can get in his mouth besides his chew toys. He only has like 10 different ones. Thats not counting us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 AM

lol yep congratulations on your new land shark. Just redirect with the chewing. we always love puppy pictures if you care to share.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily's master View Post
lol yep congratulations on your new land shark. Just redirect with the chewing. we always love puppy pictures if you care to share.

This is the fourth trip with a GSD my fifth. We had our last one for over twelves years. He was an ace type dog. Highly inteligent ect. He spoiled us bad.

Now we're starting over with probably our last go around.

I've always tried to train without treats. I like to try to get them to want to do it for gratification not a treat. But this one seems to be alittle more strong headed than any other GSD's I've had. So out with the treats and it seems to be working great. Took about 5 to 8 tries to learn to "come" and "sit". We are also utilising the treat method with kenneling and potty training.

I think I'm not only training my dog but my wife at the same time. She has a tnedancy to not take him out to the "potty spot" and lets him roam instead. Then he would come back in and sometimes have an accident in the house. So.... I'm trying. None of it is the dogs fault, it's our's to correct. He's just doing whats normal for him.

I'll get some pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page