Really having problems with treats and training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Really having problems with treats and training

My dog is fed very well - high quality kibble and I've started adding other nice stuff now seeing as that's not even good enough. There is always more left in the bowl than she can devour.

I am using cooked sausages to train her and she is crazy about the treats but she really is absolutely crazy She just want's more and more and is reluctant to do the commands really and only does them out of desparation - she know's them well.

I can get her to walk on heel outside now and only give her the treat periodically which is great.

She just never stops jumping up if she smells anything in the kitchen and looks at you constantly if you are eating or anything even though we have never really given her anything from the table...she is 14 weeks old.

I'm at my wits end now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

if theres always more left in the bowl I'd say stop adding yummies to it, she may leave it at first and get hungry but when she realizes ignoring her kibble is no longer going to get her sausage and other nice stuff she'll go back to eating it - it sounds like she's getting a little spoiled :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
if theres always more left in the bowl I'd say stop adding yummies to it, she may leave it at first and get hungry but when she realizes ignoring her kibble is no longer going to get her sausage and other nice stuff she'll go back to eating it - it sounds like she's getting a little spoiled :P
It's because I've started loading up the amount I give her. She usually doesn't eat her normal food at all and she would go for some days without eating anything...then, eventually she will eat some.

She just seems to crave meat or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

I also heard this food issue is common when they start teething. My girl is 14 weeks old too and this week I've noticed she's feeling mouth pain, the teething is coming :/, so maybe it's similar for yours? Some of the other threads have suggested adding water to the kibble and soaking it for a few minutes to make it softer, if her mouth is bothering her it might be the pieces are too hard and meat is softer.

Or, maybe she just doesn't like the food you're feeding her. If she used to eat it before check to see if there were any recalls of your brand, people have reported a lot of times their dogs suddenly wont eat a food they used to eat or whatever and find out that the food had something wrong with it.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page