Our Dex started basic training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Our Dex started basic training

Yesterday was the first day of basic training with our 9 week old Dexter. We were the first ones to the class ( we were excited he he). Dexter's eyes got really big when he saw the other puppies coming in and hid behind my leg for the first few minutes. However when he found out the trainer had really yummy treats he came out of hiding,kept watching her and sat everytime she came close. ( we've only taught him sit, and let go). Yesterday in class we learned how to walk on the leash and down. Dexter did everything the trainer asked but when I asked Dexter, he just kept looking at the trainer. I found out that my treats were not as " valuable ". :O The trainer told me that Dexter was not very mouthy for a german shepherd, so maybe all that bite inhibition training is paying off. Dexter was on his best behavior, I was so proud of him. During play time he was very excited to play with the other dogs and especially fond of a 16 week black female lab. He just followed her around licking her face.

Last edited by Msmaria; 03-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Good job by all. Its nice to hear about a positive experinece at school

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

3rd class already. Dex is the only shepherd there and is the teachers pet. She uses him quite a bit to show examples of the commands and he loves it. He listens to her so well. In fact quite a bit she has to tell him to go to his momma ( me) because he is all eyes on her and I get ignored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

She must smell really good or have really awesome treats, I'd actually be more concerned if he DIDN'T like her personally Maybe she bathes in bacon Having a trainer both you and your dog like is a huge bonus

FWIW Delgado went through two group lessons and was used both sessions mostly as the "demo dog" but he didin't like the second trainer much, he would obey her for treats for otherwise it was him looking back at me as if to say "really?! No treat?"

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
She must smell really good or have really awesome treats, I'd actually be more concerned if he DIDN'T like her personally Maybe she bathes in bacon Having a trainer both you and your dog like is a huge bonus

FWIW Delgado went through two group lessons and was used both sessions mostly as the "demo dog" but he didin't like the second trainer much, he would obey her for treats for otherwise it was him looking back at me as if to say "really?! No treat?"
That is too funny

Yesterday she had hot dogs.
The week before salmon treats, so I went out and bought the exact same thing $18 a pack, for this week. From now on its cheap hot dogs lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page