How can I stop my puppy biting when taking treats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

How can I stop my puppy biting when taking treats?

Can get sore on my hands and it's an issue I've been ignoring trying to resolve for a while - she is nearly 14 weeks old.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

This saved my fingers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Elite Member

This is what I have done..sit on floor, hold enough treat so pup can smell it in hand, make a fist, let pup smell, pup will bite , nudge, push, etc..finally pup will hopefully sit an look at you and say "hey, what gives?"

quickly say "yes" and give treat with flat palm.

Pup learns to get treat, he sits and waits. You can also help control their movement toward your hand by holding collar as pup gets treat. Always push treat into thier mouth instead of allowing them to grab for it.

Add the word "nice" , once pup starts to figure out the game.

Hope this helps.

Max Von Zahnderhaus -CGC- DOB 2/14/2012

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Knighted Member

I've always taught an 'easy' command with my dogs using the fist method described above. Works great. (Now if I could get my cat to learn! She still gets me occasionally but doesn't actually pierce the skin. If I say 'ouch' she then lets them fall to the floor first and picks them up hehe).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Always treat with palms open flat...Are you practicing bite inhibition with your puppy?? If not, then begin asap...everytime u play or interact with the pup and it puts its mouth on you or ur clothes, give a short 'yip' or ouch and withdraw, the puppy should immediately stop, if it doesn't, then gt up and walk away for a few minutes and ignore the puppy. If the pup stops the moment u say ouch and/or licks u, say good boy and pet it...eventually it will begin to sense that humans are hurt easily and will gradually stop mouthing...this shud be practiced by everyone in your family (esp ur children if any, but always under supervision) from day one of getting the puppy as young ones learn quickly...with patience and positive reward puppies will learn to take toys or pick up treats without hurting you.

Merlin - my current GSD puppy

RIP
Aldo (my best dog ever) - GSD
Sandy - GSD

“If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.”
Roger Caras
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Perfect, this has done the trick.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

I put the dog in a sit, put a treat in my hand, make a closed fist. The dog will smell it, paw it, etc and I tell them to wait..as soon as they back off of the hand I open up my fist and tell them to take it, repeat as necessary, it only takes a few times and they get it. I have trained all three of my dogs this way with great results.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Flat hand is working for us =)

Ruby {SG1, VP1, VP3 USCA Sieger Show, Kati Von den Oher Tannen} - Red/Black 11-15-2013
Zeus {Ymka Von den Oher Tannen, CGC} - Red/Black 01-07-2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page