Can you teach an old dog new tricks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Can you teach an old dog new tricks

Well I say old but I mean around one year old

Due to some family issues Kai hasn't been taught 'come'. He knows all the other basics..just not the most important. I want Kai to be of lead chasing a ball ect like the their dogs in the park he's coming up to a year now and I water to know if I still have time to train him to come.

How would I train him to come ?
I've been told get distance with him the run away, when he chances turn around and say come. Then praise (on long leash or in garden)

I've also been told to get a long lead and get distance. Tug at the lead and when he walks to you say come and reward?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Best bet is to find a trainer - either private or in a class with a good trainer andhave them show you how to train the recall.

not usually too hard once you can get and keep their attention.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

I am very pro adult dog and yes, they can learn new tricks - they may take a little longer but they retain what they have learned. For your dog, I would start different - inside the house - loose - make a sound (it can be a whistle, or a click) when your dog looks at you and turns - you turn quick then reward with a treat for when he follows you, keep practicing with distractions - then work outside in a secure area - keep it fun. When you go in an unsecured area - I suggest you use a long line - but just let the dog drag it on a flat collar - again practice with your sound and reward for following/coming to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Best bet is to find a trainer - either private or in a class with a good trainer andhave them show you how to train the recall.

not usually too hard once you can get and keep their attention.
Im only a teenger and cant afford trainers at £100 an hour
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
when your dog looks at you and turns - you turn quick then reward with a treat for when he follows you
Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by you turn quick then reward?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

The idea is to teach your dog that when he hears your whistle or click, that he stops going forward and follows you - so when he is a little ahead of you - make your sound - he will hear and turn towards you - that's when you turn and go in the other direction and so he follows - reward him when he comes up to you.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page