Help with my GSD and cats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Help with my GSD and cats?

I've had my german shepherd puppy for almost 3 weeks now and he still is not getting along with my cats. My cats really pay him no mind- until he chases them barking ferociously. He walks around the house just looking for a cat to chase or bark at. I thought it was because he was afraid, at first...but now it's just really frustrating and I'm beginning to wonder if they'll ever get along!! Ive tried sitting with them together calmly, sharing their brushes, etc. Has anyone experienced this issue? My pup is only about 10.5 weeks old. I'm hoping this is just a phase.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry but it isn't a phase. My Sting acted the same way at that age and I had to start training him. Gsds grow into big powerful dogs and you don’t want your cats to get hurt. Make time to work with your pup, play with him, and provide him with his own soft chew toys. I know it is a lot of work but worth it for all of you. Be sure you don't leave the pup and cast alone in the house unless the pup is in his crate. I had a cat when my dog was a pup. Though my cat was used to dogs, I was very careful. She was old and slow but even a young cat can get hurt by a big pup or dog. I would not allow my pup to chase after the cat. When the pup would chase after the cat - I stopped it right away. I would lift the cat up and say sternly "mine" and then give him his soft bear - make it squeak - and say very happily "this is your's". My pup slept in his crate until he was a year-old so he couldn't chase the cat at night. I even kept him on a leash which I hooked to my belt when I was working on the computer or reading so that he couldn't chase after the cat. That also helps in house training. Easy to catch when the pup needs to go before any accident happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 PM

my pup is about 10 months old and gets along with the cat alright. when we first got her she couldnt see the cat without putting the cats neck is her mouth (not biting just holding onto it). after we corrected her for awhile with "leave it" they get along alright now. she has no problem watching the cat walk by and not even lifting her head. she'll still get antsy and chase the cat, but i think its a mutual thing now because ive caught the cat starting their matches as well. before i had my dog i used to rough my cat up a little bit and he would keep coming back for more. i think i helped my cat get used to rough housing from doing that. so in this case i would think your cats attitude will also be a factor in whether they get along or not down the road. you do your part on correcting the dog and the cat will do its part on setting its own boundaries for the dog (my experience anyways). good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Knighted Member

Don't allow your pup to chase the cats. If you have to keep a leash on the pup and teach him/her to play nice with the cats if they can, chasing is never good for the cat, even when the cat is the instigater.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM

My 12 week old puppy is doing the same thing. My wife has two cats and at least once a day he will start barking at them. It doesn't seem like the pup wants to hurt them but more like he wants to inspect them. The cats will then usually start swinging at him then he amps up with barking and chasing them if the cats take off. I usually have to take the pup and put him in his crate till he calms down. I hope this is just a puppy thing.

Raider Vom Geisterholz AKC GSD 2/26/2012
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

I did not allow my puppy to chase or bark at the cat. All he'll do now is try to get her to play with him and sometimes nibbles/scratches the top of her head. The cat loves that. She purrs and leans into him, but it was never acceptable for him to show any aggression to the cat. from day one (8 weeks old).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 AM

I too am having the same problem. I have a 9 year old pug who never had an interest in the cat when we got him a year ago. The cat loves the pug so he is use to dogs. Our 11 week old GSD gets so excited when he sees the cat. He will bark and jump tp try and get him as well as chase him if he jumps down. He is fine with him on the stairs until he comes down to the same level. We are working on leave it and off which he will do for treats but ignore if I don't have the treat bag on me. I have tried holding the cat while having him in a down stay but again it only works if I keep feeding him treats. I hope it gets better. I don't want my cat getting stressed and watching his back thier entire lives. Good luck on your journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page