What am I doing wrong? Or is he sick? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

What am I doing wrong? Or is he sick?

When we got Lincoln he was 8 weeks. We have two crate. One is a big wire one with devider we put in indoor kennel (corner of living room with gate around it) Another one is a plastic crate we put inside our bedroom for him to use at night. From the day we get him we never have accident inside the crate. Now He is now 11 weeks old and is almost outgrown the plastic crate. He seems to get too hot in it at night so we switch the big wire crate to the bedroom instead. It works great. Problem is the plastic crate that we
Now put in the kennel is too small (I think) that I don't feel comfortable locking him in there for 2-4 hours during the day. So while thinking whether I should buy another full grown size wire crate or not, I just let him use the kennel and take him out often.

Yes, he poo and pee inside the kennel. I figured. 3 weeks of crate training was not long enough. The kennel is not too big but big enough for him to soil at the corner.

Well, in the pass three days he has been having BAD diarrhea. I have seen runny stool before but this.. Concern me. I guess this is a question for another thread. He soil his crate for the first time. It looks like just pee but it smells like poop. During the two hours I went out when I came back there were three piles of poops and two different pee spots inside the kennel. This is so unlike him. He was doing very good. Even with the kennel he doesn't go inside it unless its my fault.

My question is,
Am I totally ruin the potty training since I switch the crate?
Do I need to buy another crate? It is so expensive. I don't wanna crate him in the bedroom during the day cos he doesn't like not be able to see me. But if that's what most of you do, I will try that.
Did he make that huge mess of three poops and two pees inside the kennel because he is sick? Or has separation anxiety? Or he takes the kennel as a yard?? I don't think he is sick because he is still eating very well, energetic, happy, playful, and trainable. He has lots of exercise two days ago I don't know if that was what trigger the diarrhea. His food is plain kibble that he loves and been fed since he was with the breeder.
We have the bell at the door he rings when he needs to go out. He doesn't seem to get that 100% of the time though.

Sorry for a long post. I don't know how to make it shorter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like he is sick, it's abnormal behavior, I'd get a stool sample and take it to the vet, he may have a tummy bug like giardia.
With diarrhea he probably can't hold it and needs to be let out very very often, I'm sure he hates being so close to his own poop :[ hope he feels better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Sounds like he is sick, it's abnormal behavior, I'd get a stool sample and take it to the vet, he may have a tummy bug like giardia.
With diarrhea he probably can't hold it and needs to be let out very very often, I'm sure he hates being so close to his own poop :[ hope he feels better!
Thank you mego for reading my long post. Last night he sleeps through the night and this morning is poop was rock solid. I will keep monitoring him if it goes back to runny I'm taking him to the vet. I wonder if it was chicken broth. Vet suggests me putting those in his food because he wasn't eating last week. But he is eating now. A lot actually. Seems like 3/4 3/4 1/2 doesn't fulfill him anymore. I want to make sure he doesn't have separation anxiety. I'm not sure what it is just read it somewhere in this forum.

By the way, your Lara is super cute! I can't get over those teepee ears! She makes me wanna have a girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM

I have always noticed that giving my dogs a few spoons of plain yoghurt with active cultures really helps in maintaining their digestive systems. Whenever I'm changing kibble, or when the dog has vomiting or diarrhea, feeding yoghurt or yoghurt mixed with cooked white rice for a couple feedings really helps. All my dogs have always got 2-4 spoons of yoghurt a day, a bit more in really hot and humid weather, which helps keep their systems running smoothly Even my vet suggests the same

Merlin - my current GSD puppy

RIP
Aldo (my best dog ever) - GSD
Sandy - GSD

“If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.”
Roger Caras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page