Emma's Ball Drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Emma's Ball Drive

Emmas ball drive has suddenly improved. Its way up from what it was and she is doing excellent at fetch in the house with a tennis ball. She even will "Give after a few prompts. We spent at lease a half hour last night. Previously she tired after just a throw or two.

Two minor issues I dont know quiet how to correct. One is jumping at the ball in my hand when I an ready to toss. I have been saying off or no. I try to have her sit, but her energy level takes over

Second I am trying to have her catch it in the air. I have her sit then toss gently just above her nose. She just sits there and lets it hit her, then goes and gets it. Should I try the one bounce on the floor - my golden loved that game.

Otherwise she is getting good at bring me her tug or other toys when she thinks it is play time - even in the middle of morning coffee - some day she will realize I need the coffee to play and bring me a cup to start

If there are any thoughts on the catch, I would appreciate it

PS I also appear I need to stock up on the tennis balls - the one we have is almost cover less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Just keep working with the jumping at the ball in our hand. Don't even say anything. Just stand there and wait her out until she quits jumping and looks at you: "HEY!! What are you waiting for! Throw it already!
Hold the ball like it is YOUR ball, not hers. Cover it with your full hand, hold it against your body. Wait her out - might take a long time at first!

For the catching, she is still very young for that. To tell the truth, some dogs NEVER figure out how to catch a ball - though I have a feeling your very smart girl will figure it out soon. I would just wait for her to get older and not expect it just yet.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page