Sit means sit - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sit means sit

I took my girl for a training demo today at my local sit means sit trainer, its a franchise. Th guy was very close to me so I found him on google. 1st thing he is waiting in front of his house witha big malinois, we greet each other and then he does a demo with his dog. It was ok, not super obedience but a good dog, at the time I didnt even know he was actively using the ecollar.
So, he put his dog away and we brought out Apache. She got to know the room, then he played a bit of tug with her. And then got her using the touchpads and steps he had. When he told her out, he used his hand on her mouth, I showed him how she outs on command and is beyond that. Then he busted out the ecollar and tried to get her to follow him. It didnt quite work, and he was mostly luring with a gentle leash while she went between whining and scratching at the collar. He ignored her strong as **** food drive, and never used his voice as a marker. And then it got a bit salesy and they have packages, and theres a discount if you buy within 24 hours.

I asked if he could let my pup socialize with his dogs and everything he said about his control went out the window and only one dog in his house could be with a pup. He brought out a fat female tall bulldog(I forget which bulldogs are which) My pup got her confidence on, it was fun to watch her try so hard to get this dog to play. She was pouncing in circles and bouncing at the big bulldog which wouldnt do anything but stand there. his own pet was shutdown IMO.

NOPE!

Last edited by volcano; 03-08-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

NO way I'd let anyone just put an E-collar on my dog!

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Me neither. But I have trained my dog to e-collar and we did incorporate the sit means sit exercises into our training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I dont think he harmed her, shes not soft. He demoed it on me and at 1,2,3 it made my hand muscle flex involuntarily, At 4 I could feel the buzz. But my girl is on a positive reinforcement as a puppy, we may transition to an ecollar but he was goofy putting it on a perfectly behaved, food driven, 13 week old puppy. He ensured me that sit means sit is the best ecollar training?
I viewed my breeders shutz class, and it turned me off to ecollar. The trainers dogs ecollar went dead, and he resorted to hitting his snout with the handle of the whip??? I got the impression that he uses the ecollar constantly and lets off the stimulus when the dog bites as a reward? It turned me off of his group.

Last edited by volcano; 03-08-2013 at 10:31 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
I dont think he harmed her, shes not soft. He demoed it on me and at 1,2,3 it made my hand muscle flex involuntarily, At 4 I could feel the buzz. But my girl is on a positive reinforcement as a puppy, we may transition to an ecollar but he was goofy putting it on a perfectly behaved, food driven, 13 week old puppy. He ensured me that sit means sit is the best ecollar training?
I viewed my breeders shutz class, and it turned me off to ecollar. The trainers dogs ecollar went dead, and he resorted to hitting his snout with the handle of the whip??? I got the impression that he uses the ecollar constantly and lets off the stimulus when the dog bites as a reward? It turned me off of his group.
Wow! Neither place sounds good to me. Do you have other SchH groups in your area to check out?

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 PM

I'm really glad you did not choose to train with the 'sit means sit' people. Hmmm, wonder why a discount if you sign up within 24 hours? Just sayin....I have a relative that used them, the experience was NOT good.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Im going to view another shuz group this Monday, and its in the evening which is better for me. Then theres also a gsd training club but they require shots that I dont want to give my girl, lepto and kennel cough.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

There are several threads here about this training franchise. Almost none of them have good reports. I strongly recommend AGAINST them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

Personally I wouldn't do Sit Means Sit, and definitely not for a puppy.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 AM

Oh boy does that guy sound like an A*s! We've recently been looking into ecollar training for some long distance off lead stuff with Sarge. But know how to properly do it! I cant believe he just wanted to throw it on her! I've heard and seen way too many people who get trigger happy with the ecollar because they dont teach their dog with it/train them properly. my goodness. I'm surprised as to what passes for "trainers" these days.
I hope you find what youre looking for your girl sounds smart
-Kirsten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page