stoped listening - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Question stoped listening

hi all i would realy aprecate some advice ok so we were at dog traing this evening every thing was going fine we done some down stays and sit stays clay was great as always to start with... then we were asked to do some sits by indervidual coans and he was just compleatley ignoring me it took at least 40 seconds for him to sit each time he wasent even looking at me it like someone just pressed the off switch or he was somewere else compleatley even the trainer said it was compleatley out of character for him, because he has always been so easy to train and has done every thing i ask of him up untill now could this be the start of him testing me i just dont know he willl be 8 months old tomrrow i never had this problem with any of my previous gsd's so any advice on how to handel this would be much aprecated thanks.

ps sorry about my spelling.

Last edited by happyblond; 03-06-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

Could just be an "off day" for him. I wouldn't make too much of it after one bad session. I would make sure he has plenty of exercise and stay consistent with his training. I can't say I've experienced it with mine, but others have posted about "bratt" type phases about your pups age.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

This kind of shutting down is usually a sign of stress, not a challenge to your authority. Looking away and freezing is a calming signal.

Is he used to the cones? Who knows what it was? Maybe a noise, the sound of the heater/air conditioning, another dog giving him the evil eye. Maybe they were scary to him. Perhaps he was picking up your negative energy and was trying to calm you down in doggy language, which of course, would have upset you even more (because he was not listening), which would have stressed him some more, and so on.

At any rate, if this is not typical from him, don't fret over it. Next time he shows signs of stress, try to figure out what it is, and be calm and happy to bring his attention back to you. Give him a little play break, then go back to the exercise.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM

stoped listening

I was at training last night with my GSD Kane. He had no interest in training at all he didn't even want his reward treats. The trainer said some times they have an off day. He only wanted to lay on the floor and just watch the other dogs. My trainer uses Kane for most examples because he does so well. He wouldn't get up and do anything for her.
I personally think he was just exhausted due to playing extra yesterday because we had beautiful weather so I took advantage of it and played extra with him. He did all his training as usual today.
Maybe your GSD was just having an off day too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page