6 month old puppy question(keeping on lead in the house) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question 6 month old puppy question(keeping on lead in the house)

For the most part since I got my pup at two months old I have kept him on a lead in the house. For the last few weeks I haven't been but I'm not sure if I still should be.

He no longer gets into things and he's getting better and better about coming when I call him. So for example if I'm going to a different room in the house if he doesn't follow me(which he's been doing more lately) then I will call him.

The main issue is the cats, he's not interested in killing them or intentionally hurting them... He will just chase them and try to play by putting a paw on their backs and sometimes mouthing them. He will stop when I say leave it but he will not stop the chase part and of course I am worried about him accidentally hurting them. Two of my cats know how to avoid him, one doesn't run and will tell him off but my male Siamese is becoming buddies with him and is making the training aspect more difficult for me because he likes to be chased. They are buddies though, they will lay together and Ollie will groom him...

Do you think I should go back to keeping him on lead? May sound like a stupid question, I'm just curious about people's opinions.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Crowned Member

If he's not getting into stuff then I wouldn't put him back on the lead. My dogs and cats are the same way as yours. I would still have mine on a lead at 17 months if that was the case. Just keep an eye on him, correct him when you see or hear him doing something he isn't suppose to.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks! Yeah I never let him wander around out of my sight, it was just getting so tiresome having him on lead all the time. Though I may go back to doing it just until I can teach him a better leave it... He knows it but the thrill of the chase is just too much for him. I don't feel sorry for my male Siamese getting chased though since he runs on purpose... I swear this cat...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Crowned Member

Ha, ha, we had a Siamese and she made training any dog impossible. She would show up from nowhere, interfering with the down stay by stepping over his paws or tickling his pads with her whiskers.
Puppy was heeling nicely on the side walk, kitty shows up and race-climbs in a telephone pole right next to us. I would never feel sorry for a Siamese like that. I absolutely adore these cats.
I too keep pups on lead (tethered to me), penned, or crated until they no longer cause trouble. Your Siamese will probably take advantage of this

Last edited by wolfy dog; 03-06-2013 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Ha, ha, we had a Siamese and she made training any dog impossible. She would show up from nowhere, interfering with the down stay by stepping over his paws or tickling his pads with her whiskers.
Puppy was heeling nicely on the side walk, kitty shows up and race-climbs in a telephone pole right next to us. I would never feel sorry for a Siamese like that. I absolutely adore these cats.
I too keep pups on lead (tethered to me), penned, or crated until they no longer cause trouble. Your Siamese will probably take advantage of this
OMG I know! I was sitting there once doing a training session with my pup and my Siamese(Binx) kept walking in front of us like every 5 seconds like he was trying to distract my dog and it was working!

So now I have to put him in another room when I'm doing a training session. To say that cats are aloof and don't require much attention... Well I think whoever said that has never owned a Siamese!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page