Crying/whining at night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Crying/whining at night

Our new puppy, Daisy, is seven weeks old today. She is medium energy, loves to play but also lays down at my feet. I have a crate for her set up in the dining room (hard floor) inside of a small pen. Whenever either me or my wife cannot watch her she is inside the pen, and during the day after playing I put her inside the crate with the door shut to rest. Just in the few days we've had her she has taken to going into the crate on her own to sleep. Because she is so young, I'm not putting her inside the crate at night because she hasn't learned bladder control yet, and I don't want her to get used to peeing inside the crate. So here's the problem: She will go into the pen at night just fine, no whining or crying. But periodically throughout the night, she will start whining/crying/howling, I guess just wanting attention. She is my third GSD, and my second that I've bought as a puppy. Our first did not exibit this behavior, as she was a very laid back and quiet dog.

Is this normal behavior that will cure itself with time? She's still young.

I have training pads inside the pen, and she has learned to pee/poop on the pads while she's inside the pen, and even will go to the pads during the day to do her thing. Not all the time, but sometimes, so she understands what they're for, just hasn't learned to control herself yet...if she's busying playing she doesn't even sniff around, just squats and goes. Again, normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

She is probably lonely. I would suggest using the crate at night - and put the crate in your bedroom. First walk her so she can empty her bladder - if she cries - then take her outside again, that way she wouldn't soil her crate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

At seven weeks old, you should be getting up several times at night to take her outside and let her empty her bladder.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

What is a reasonable length of time to expect her to stay in before taking her to go?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM

She might be whining in the night to go to the bathroom. at seven weeks old, she probably has to go after 2-3 hours or so. You can try waking up every couple hours and taking her out on your own (so as not to reward her for whining). or you can wait until she wakes you but not take her out until she is quiet. You can start gradually increasing the times every week or so, until finally she won't wake you until around 6 or 7 am to go use the bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page