So excited she bit me in the face. :o - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

So excited she bit me in the face. :o

Okay, my girl is SUPER friendly. Overly friendly, really. At 10 months she has an adult bark, so her "HI HI HI HI HI HI" greeting to everyone she sees does not necessarily result in her getting the attention she wants. It's a rare person that believes me when I tell them "She's just saying hi, come on over." Which is unfortunate, and I'm working on that one...

Related to that is how excited she gets when we come home. The best technique is to leave her kenneled for a couple of minutes so she gets used to seeing and hearing us before we let her out.

But then... I was out of town for a few weeks, just got home last night. When she saw me, she barked a few times like "Who is this guy in my house??" I did not mind that, because it was followed immediately by the realization that IT'S DADDY!!!

I sat down on the rug and she ran around and around me, licking, whining, licking, bopping her face into mine... It was super cute! Until I saw a drip of blood on my shirt. And then another. And then I felt something on my cheek. And I realized somehow in the cute licking and face bumping she must have nipped my cheek.

So. This is a new occurrence. I'm not really sure how to deal with it... I don't think the answer is "don't put my face by hers," but suddenly I'm hesitant.

I think I have a good line on "don't bark at people," but I'm open to suggestions on the affection-gone-too-far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Elite Member

It sounds like she hit you with her tooth not nipped. And the answer if youre that concerned with bleeding is to not put your face near her. You were away for weeks so she was super happy, I wouldnt correct that other than maybe a harness and keep a hold of the handle?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry but I have to laugh. The last time my husband came home from a deployment, his dog was so ridiculously excited to see him, his dinner came back up, he ate it and it came back up again and tried to eat it again. He jumped up to kiss my husband and accidentally caught his lip. So not only did Riley have barf breath but he kissed my husband AND drew blood. He was so freaking excited nobody could be mad at him for acting out of character with the jumping up but my husband was mortified. Sometimes they just cant contain their excitement.

When she's that excited, dont get down to her level. Encourage her to TRY to contain herself so you can love on her.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

No need to apologize! I guess I forgot to mention that she was making little nippy-chompy mouthings while licking at my face... but I think it's still likely that she didn't actually nip me and just bumped me with a tooth when her mouth was open.

Thanks for the inputs! I'll try harder to ignore her when she's being super excited-cute...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think she really nipped you - at least not on purpose. As for the sounds....My girl was a very loud licker. When we first got her, one of my kids was afraid, saying, "She snapped at me." Nope, she was just licking very loud. It did make kind of a snapping noise. LOL!

I agree with the others. Don't get down on the floor with her. Give her a chance to settle.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Elite Member

My puppy tries to actually bite my face when she's excited, but she's a puppy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Crowned Member

One of the puppies out of Arwen's second litter was so cute, I would pick him up and bring him right up to my face. And every time without fail he would bite my nose. Hard. He made me bleed. More than once. When the man came to take him home, I told him, he bites. They didn't seem to mind.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Elite Member

I let my breeder choose my pup. I mustve had tunnel vision when she said the pup had "aggressive love" Apache is a great pup but you gotta watch out when shes excited, she got me on the lip this morning. It looks like lips heal fast at least.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Knighted Member

I'd like to share something I taught my dog.

Whenever I come home, my Kira would normally go bonkers. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't walk in with packages. She would bite at me, and knock everything out of my hands.

I kept a small bag of treats in my car.
I would walk in, turn my back, and give her the down command. Eventually, I taught her to move back, and give me space. As soon as she would drop, I'd treat her, and keep her in a stay.
When I felt she was calm, I would walk over, greet and treat her.

Now when I come home, she runs about 20 feet back, lays down, makes all these "happy moan and groan sounds", and waits for her "greet and treat".
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome. Will try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page