Housetraining - am I crazy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Housetraining - am I crazy?

OK, we've had Lexus for 3 weeks now. He's 10 weeks old. He's doing really well with his housetraining - at least tries to go when we take him out to "the spot," hasn't pooped in the house since about day 4, has only gone in the crate once, and I think it was because I didn't wake up in time. Whines when he's in the crate at night for me to get up and take him out. I have enzymed every place he has eliminated inappropriately. BUT (and this is the "am I crazy" part) it seems like he waits till I'm not watching him, and he'll pee on the floor. Tooday, I had him tethered to me as I was working in the office and everything was good. I had to take a call, was kind of keeping an eye on him, but needed to look something up for the customer, and by the time I was done - maybe 5 minutes, he'd peed on the floor. I'd had him out about 1/2 hour earlier. Then, my son was playing with him about 20 minutes after an outside break, and when he went to get the ball from under the sofa, the puppy again peed on the floor. He was immediately taken outside. About 45 minutes after that, I was on the phone again, and he went on the floor. I watch and watch for a "sign" - sniffing, circling, waiting at the door, whatever, but the second I turn away, there he goes. He can't be doing it on purpose, I know, but it's sure starting to feel like it!
Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

He still hasnt associated the house with no potty. Do you crate train? how does he tell you he has to go?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Yep, we're crate training. He's perfect in the crate. Whines and yips at night until someone gets up to take him outside to the designated spot. I am trying the bell-training thing, and we drop everything to take him out if he so much as brushes past the bells. I haven't figred ot if he does _anything_ other than whine in the crate to indicate a desire to go out, adn boy, have I been watching! I just take him out whenever I figure it's been about enough time, and praise him up and down when he goes. He hasn't had a #2 accident inside in quite a while. It's just the "fine until I turn my back, then #1 on the floor" thing that has me stumped!
Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

I used this House Breaking Your German Shepherd Puppy

He does it on the floor like that just like a baby would, as soon as he feels something in the bladder he lets loose. Another possibility is if you punished for potty in the house then he will try and hide it from you. He could think potty is ok but not in front of you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Volcano! I read the site you sent me too and will immediately begin teaching him to ring the bell as suggested an dbe as diligent as the article suggested. I guess I didn't think of teaching him to ring it...that was duumb!
I don't understand why they tell you not to let the puppy see you cleaning up, but I tend to have someone take him out right away, or I crate him when I find an accident, to give me an opportunity to take care of it.
As for the not going in froont of me, he does it outside all the time... I have said "NO" scooped him up and run for the door if I find him in the act, I hope I haven't really messed up his housetraining with that.
We'll get it, patience, patience, patience...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

rule out anything medical. take him out more often.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM

My 10 week old pup is doing the same thing. He has been going outside great. He has even gone through the kitty door that he will soon be too big for and sits by the back door. But there are other times where it will be less than 30 minutes that he was out and he will just stop wherever he happens to be and pees. No rhyme or reason to it. I'm hoping it will get better as time goes on and he starts to learn to hold it more instead of just letting it go....?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Elite Member

When you wipe up with a rag the pup wants to chase the rag. So if this only happened after the dog potty then the dog could figure out potty = chasing the rag. Thats why you remove the pup. Scooping them up in teh act and moving outside is ok, just dont be abusive or yelling at them.

Last edited by volcano; 03-01-2013 at 03:08 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, it appears I've trained him to pee just a little bit, on the floor, right in front of me, while he's looking right at me, then stop and go to the door. *sigh* I wish I wasn't so clueless.

Thanks for the info about cleaning up, Volcano - I was thinking it was some sort of weird puppy psychology thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page