Boot camp - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Boot camp

I am thinking about "boot camp" for Ben. He will be 7 months old friday. He would go stay a week with the trainer for intensive hands on. I have mixed feelings and would like to hear the pro's and con's from anyone that has had experience with this type of training. He just finished basic obedience last night, and this would be the same trainer we had for that.

thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM

The pros are he will learn a lot. The cons are, when he comes home he will revert to his old habits. If his behavior with you is not perfect now, it will not be perfect when he comes home. Most trainers are excellent at communicating with dogs. Where trainers fail is in communicating with owners. Make sure the trainer you send the pup to is willing to spend time with you so you understand what the dog learned and what you need to do to keep the lessons fresh in the pup's mind. Better also ask some upfront questions about his training methods. If you believe in only positive training methods, find out what the trainer believes in. That is where the communication between owner and trainer is essential.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Master Member

I don't believe in sending dogs away for training, except perhaps in cases where there is a SERIOUS issue or cases where the handler is physically unable to control the dog. And in those cases, there better be some good followup coaching or the dog will revert right back to old behaviors.

I've had groom clients who shipped dogs off for training, spending thousands of dollars. The dog was usually good for the first week or so after coming home. But without work, the dogs all reverted back to their original behaviors, and in some cases after a few months you couldn't tell they had ever gone away for training.

Training is all about the relationship, far more than the behaviors!

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I do know this trainer. He is the one we had for Ben's basic obedience classes. He does 5 days, then a private lesson with the owners. The dog comes home for 2 days, then goes back for 3 or 4 more days, followed by another private lesson. Then Ben and I would go into the advanced obedience class with the same trainer. Haven't made my mind up yet on the whole idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page