Potty Training issue with adult GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Potty Training issue with adult GSD

We got Rex when he was 6 months old. He quickly learned not to go potty on our back porch. He has been potty trained for a while. He is 15 months old now and just recently started trying to mark everything, urinate in the pet stores all the time, etc. This is unusual for him. He is not feeling nervious, aggressive, uneasy, etc, he just simply WANTS to go potty in the store, even though he knows this behavior is not allowed. I take him out of the store as soon as he starts, and I praise him for going potty in the right area, but he does not seem to be improving. Does any one know why he might be acting like this and how I could correct this?

He has also been obsessive about jumping on people, which is also a little unusual. I've tried turning my back to him and ignoring him when he jumps on me, sternly saying "hey" or "no", separating him from me... nothing works. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for that, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

It seems like Rex is staking out his territory. Has anything happened recently - like a new dog in the neighborhood, change in Rex's routine? Also if he is intact that may explain it also. For the jumping, well, the turning of my back worked with my Sting where nothing else would - but I had turn my back and totally ignore Sting - no talking nothing - no matter what he did, even if he jumped on my back -the most I would do was to slowly walk away with my back to him. It took a while, but worked. I also asked other people to turn their back and that worked also. For your Rex,you may want to either try that again and stick with it or you can try stepping on his back toes when he jumps up, you can also knee him in the chest. These methods didn't work with my Sting as he thought it was just a big play time. I would keep Rex on the leash around other people and not let him jump up - he can learn to sit by your side instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

If I turn my back to Rex and completely ignore him he starts jumping up as high as he could to bite my hair. I've tried kneeing him in the chest but he thinks I'm just playing with him, he actually gets more riled up. I don't know of any changes in his routine. The only thing I can think of is about a month ago another dog snapped at him in Petsmart for the 1st time. Could that be the issue? He is not neutered, so is it possible he is going through a territorial phase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

Yes - I agree with you about the incident at Petsmart. That could have triggered his marking and staking out his territority. All my male dogs have been neutered but I used to walk a neighbor's collie who was intact. When I would take him over to my uncle's house who had a dog that it the only time the collie would mark - I had to be quick and keep him close to prevent him. For the jumping - yes I agree also that Rex is getting worked up. He needs an outlet - is he getting enough exercise? Also if you aren't already doing so - play tug with him - he needs to bite and attack in an acceptable way. You can put the tug on a rope and swing it out - he will go right for it - then tug and after a struggle - let him win. For the jumping, you may want to work with a trainer. I did train my Sting out of it and he did try with the jump and nip - he was about 9-10 months when he acted like that. He would get a glint in his eye and come right at me . It was winter and I had on an old parka which helped - when he went up like that - I had enough and turned and alpha rolled him. It took just one time. After that I worked with training him to come to my outstretched hand which I had a treat in. He would need to come and sit by my side to get the reward, so then when he would get all charged up and come - I just held out by hand away from me and he would come sliding to a stop. He would get the reward and then I would insist he hold the sit/stay and I would back up - and have him come again, sit and get another reward. By that time, he had calmed down.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page