9 week pup is 85% house trained - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

9 week pup is 85% house trained

Been working on my house training and it seems to be 85%. My pup will go to the door un prompted about 75% of the time to go outside. When prompted, she'll potty outside 95% of the time. Other times she'll just drop and pee inside.

any tips?

We reward her outside after every potty immediately afterwards.

Also, just installed a bell to ring before we go out, since she doesn't always goto the door when she needs out (unless we ask her to potty). This is a good idea, no?

i can tell my pup is smart, and she does other things very well such as come, etc but this potty thing is a little frustrating because I know she is bright.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM

I crate trained mine and she only went pee in the house once, on the second day home. Never again. She goes to me, or the door when she needs to go out..
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

were crate training her too, at the same time

would it be best to keep her in the crate and only out to pee even while we are home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blysccr View Post
were crate training her too, at the same time

would it be best to keep her in the crate and only out to pee even while we are home?

If you can't watch her, crate her. As soon as you let her out, strait outside. I always kept her on a leash even inside the house if she was out of the crate. Also because she would jump on my 2 year old and chase her. Now she is 7 months and 60 lbs and does not jump on the kids anymore and never goes inside the house. I started obedience and leash training at 10 weeks old and she is doi9ng great.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

that sounds just like what i'm doing, hopefully it's just a matter of time.

thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
that sounds just like what i'm doing, hopefully it's just a matter of time.

thanks

Good luck!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

folks, do you think keeping her in her crate for longer periods throughout the day, even while i'm home, will help me? I feel like we've hit a roadblock
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
folks, do you think keeping her in her crate for longer periods throughout the day, even while i'm home, will help me? I feel like we've hit a roadblock
My vet told me take dog out to pee, if she pees, she gets 1 hour of freedom in the house (supervised), then take her out again. If she doesn't pee, 20 minutes in the crate, try again for pee, if she pees, great there's another hour of freedom. If she doesnt, 20 more min in crate etc etc

We didn't really follow the numbers exactly but I crate my girl if she's just played for a long time. She gets 'forced' naps for 1.5 hour blocks otherwise she never settles down and relaxes. After her nap I take her out to pee and she gets some house time, then after we're done playing or walking or whatever, I Put her back down for another nap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Knighted Member

My pup was fully housetrained by the first week he came home at 9 weeks. We crated, but I also took him out every 20-30 minutes on the dot. (Except at night. After the first night, he went out at 11 or a bit after then I got up at 5-5:30 to take him out). The two accidents he did have were because it had been over an hour since I'd taken him out and I'd 'forgotten'.

Take them out more frequently. Don't give them the chance to have an accident in the house.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

most of the time we say "potty" and she goes to the door and goes out, at least every hour. we only had her in the crate at night but i think maybe a little more crate time will help her with training, and my sanity.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page