House Breaking issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

House Breaking issues

my 10 week old pup i have been trying to house break for 4 weeks now still doesnt get the idea, and now just pees in her crate even though its as small as it can be. Ruled out medical. Any ideas of how to fix this, I take her out every 30 minutes, and then if she dont pee i take her out every 10 after that, 3-4 times still no pee bring her in and as soon as I bring her in she goes and pees where ever in her crate or whatever. I use a cleaner too made for it to get rid of the smell everytime. She just refuses to go outside, the only times I can get her to go outside is when she wakes up. Sometimes I can during the day.

Athena(Black/Silver) GSD - born 12/15/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Crowned Member

After you have taken her out several times with no peeing, try keeping her tethered to you and keep a close eye on her. If you can catch her in the act, calmly take her out to finish. If she finishes outside, praise like crazy. After a few times, she will probably catch on.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
After you have taken her out several times with no peeing, try keeping her tethered to you and keep a close eye on her. If you can catch her in the act, calmly take her out to finish. If she finishes outside, praise like crazy. After a few times, she will probably catch on.

This. Keep her on you at all times. She will get it. Lot's of praise when she does it right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM

How much water do you give her at a time? We really controlled our puppies water intake when he was younger and it helped immensely.

Sky (aka: Hans) - Male GSD, 6 months
Lake Stevens, WA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I usually keep her water down at all times and take it up at 9:30 at night and she goes to bed at 11. then put it back out at 8 am. But she usually only takes a few sips then picks up the bowl and dumps it out, so not sure how much at at a time

Athena(Black/Silver) GSD - born 12/15/2012
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM

don't forget the high value treats for when she goes to the bathroom outside. freeze dried liver, cheese, piece of chicken/steak, etc, whatever her favorite treat is. have a "special" treat that she only gets for going outside. sometimes if they're really young/not attached to you yet, they care more for food than praise. bring a treat with you and reward as soon as she does the deed outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page