10 week old training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

10 week old training

Hi Guys,

I was woundring what do you guys think about having my puppy train at petsmart? he is almost 10 weeks now he had his second shots when he was 8 weeks the day we picked him up. we will start training tonight at 7pm.

I am just intrested in socializing him and alittle bit of training.

I will in couple month will do proffessional training with a GSD trainer but for now i want him to get some basics and socilaized.

Thoughts and ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

I hope it went well. 10 weeks is young and he hasn't had his 2nd parvo yet - you may want to wait with your vet at what would be best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Crowned Member

I think puppy classes are great and 10 weeks is a good age. However, personally I would probably have looked for another location for puppy classes with a 10 week old, like a training facility rather than a pet store where anyone can bring any unvaccinated dog in.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

he had his secont vacination already on feb 14th. It went good he was alittle shy and scared of other dogs.

I picked him up all the way in the room and picked him up again to outside.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarek View Post
he had his secont vacination already on feb 14th. It went good he was alittle shy and scared of other dogs.

I picked him up all the way in the room and picked him up again to outside.
So did he do good with the other puppies and dogs are was he skiddish??
You have a gorgeous puppy!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

he was alittle scared.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if he doesn't learn sit, stay and come in these classes. He's really young and there is a lot of chaos at Petsmart. However, at his age, these classes will do him a world of good when it comes to conditioning him to noise, people and other dogs. Hopefully what he will take away from the classes is an ability to work around rattling shopping carts, screaming running kids, barking dogs, and friendly people who want to pet the puppy. All these things are necessary to have a well adjusted adult dog that will go anywhere and meet anyone without fear or anger. Walk him round and round in Petsmart before class so he can see lots more stuff, then walk him up and down the sidewalk out front. Let him meet people and feel like everyone is his friend so he won't be wary of strangers later.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM

I am sure he will warm up more so if you do what Marnie says. Socialization is a big thing for the shepherd pup.

I work with my pup for 10 to 15 minutes a day.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Elite Member

It may vary by location but I wouldnt do it at mine. The "training" I viewed was a joke. Its for the lowest common denominator type owner. I just viewed a class at another place yesterday. It was advanced obedience with about 4 dobes a gsd and a tall bulldog/boxer looking dog. When i got there they did a 3 minute sit where they walked away and all the dogs sat for 3 minutes while the handlers talked on the other side of the room. Then various other exercises, the dobes had no drive, they performed but with no effort, they ran lazily etc. The gsd was whining and when asked to perform did it with GUSTO. I think I may do puppy class there but I feel like we are beyond that other than socialization. Apache does sits, down, and come. And she already has good form when shes into it. She hits her but hard for sit, and her elbows hit the floor for down...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Elite Member

I went to petsmart today. The trainer told me that if a dog has a tatoo in its ear then it has to be registered as a weapon. I couldnt even make stuff like that up If I tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page