4mo GSD nips when putting on leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

4mo GSD nips when putting on leash

Hey everyone,

Our fm GSD pup is 4mo and every time we put the leash/collar on to go out she tries to nip and our hands all the time. Does anyone have any tips on how to correct this?

Bobbo2319
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Walk away from her and completely ignore her as soon as she starts nipping. Try again after a minute. She will soon learn that every time she nips she will have to wait to go outside.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM

northgashepherds is right, that is a good method.

The one thing I would add, is that if your puppy (like mine) doesn't put a large amount of value on going outside, it may take additional training to get past this. My puppy was far more enthralled by the game of me putting his leash on him than he was going outside.

If that is the case, I would recommend introducing her to the collar/leash like you would her kennel, in baby steps. Make it a game. Put her leash/collar in front of her, and the moment she stops nipping at it, give her a treat. Repeat until this isn't hard for her. Then, gradually try putting it on her, rewarding desirable behavior with a high-value treat, while not rewarding or acknowledging unwanted behavior.

Remember negative attention is still attention and will not get you the results you desire.

Hope this helps!

Sky (aka: Hans) - Male GSD, 6 months
Lake Stevens, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

I would sprinkle treats on the floor to keep her busy and in the meantime associate leashing with something good. If you walk away from a 4 month old pup, they will find something else to get in to trouble with.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

How about "no"? While treating or otherwise distracting will certainly allow you to get the collar and leash on (if you're quick!), it's not telling the pup what you don't want it to do or what you do want it to do. Just a thought.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page