Puppy walks better off leash than on leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Puppy walks better off leash than on leash?

I walk my 13 week old puppy, khaleesi, every night on leash. Like most puppies, she gets excited and pulls on the leash. Sometimes she does walk next to me, but is easily distracted and switches sides alot, hangs back, pulls forward, etc.

The other night I was in a deserted cul-de-sac (not my usual walking area though), and I decided to let her walk with me off-leash. She was a perfect angel, walked next to me or behind me, stopped when I stopped, didnt even attempt to run off anywhere. I tried it again in a different area (non-busy street) and she was really good again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I dont want to habitually let her off leash for safety reasons, but I thought it was strange how well behaved she was off leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Alas no. But my Sting was a very bold independent pup. Imo, your Khaleesi, without the leash - decided that the dark empty street was scary and she wanted to stay close to you. With the leash, she felt secure and knew she couldn't lose sight of you. For the making the leash into a toy game, I found that the retractable leash discouraged that.I do agree with you that for safety's sake, only have her off leash in a safe area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Navarro is kind of the same way. He's really confident on leash and pulls like crazy when he gets excited and then whenever we let him off he sticks right beside us I think because he doesn't want to lose us. He does get adventurous sometimes (when we're off leash in the wilderness) but he never lets us get far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM

I almost named my sasha, kahlessi too lmao! i knew if i did tho all my friends would mention game of thrones, big fan lol. sasha is the same way when shes on a leash. she wont have it. she pulls, barks, or wont move. off the leash shes a great little girl, explorative but never goes too far. always comes when called.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1015 View Post
I almost named my sasha, kahlessi too lmao! i knew if i did tho all my friends would mention game of thrones, big fan lol. sasha is the same way when shes on a leash. she wont have it. she pulls, barks, or wont move. off the leash shes a great little girl, explorative but never goes too far. always comes when called.
yeah I wanted to go with Arya (team stark!) but I got outvoted for khaleesi. It makes sense what all of you said above- most likely she doesnt wanna lose me when shes not tied to me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I never use a leash on my dogs for about the first year except in classes or if I'm somewhere they need to be 6' or closer for their safety.

Lots of walks in my yard (off leash) then packing them up in the car for off leash hiking.

You seen this ? ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page