year old that keeps going going going - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

year old that keeps going going going

ok i have a year old gsd male that when i get home from work he keeps wanting to play. now i know they are driven and want to work. but when he does not get his way, he barks and wount stop. then i get mad and the wife gets mad. so you see where this is going. i do take him to a dog park, and when we get there the dogs that have been going there longer then him gang up at the gate. he gets scared and then goes off on his own. i want him to play with the others, so any halp here would be great? but we do play in the yard with a ball, and he goes good. but then when we get home or done playing ball he just wants to keep going. now this might be silly, but would food make the extra energy??? as again any help????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

Try some mental exercise...obedience/training.That can tire a dog out too.A nice long walk or hike on a long line might be enjoyable too. He might need a combination of both. If you haven't taken him to any kind of classes, now might be the time

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

Well, he has been waiting all day to play, so it is not surprising that he is ready to go and go and go when you get home.

Have you tried running with him? Biking with him? Frisbee? Obedience training? These are smart, energetic dogs and need a job to do. In addition, yours is still a pup.

As for the dog park, he might be overwhelmed by so many dogs, that, let's face it, are not always balanced. You never know what kids of dogs you run into over there.

A great game is find the treat. Hide a treat or ten somewhere in the house, and encourage him to find all of them.

Perhaps a doggy day care might be in order. He has fun all day, and you get a tired dog when it is time to go home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Master Member

can you maybe bring in a dog walker or someone to exercise him mid day? that way so much energy wont be stored up for you when you get home
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

i get up early when i work, and take lexie for a walk for a good 45 minutes, so when she is locked up in her crate, she isnt crazy when i get home. i also take her to obedience class once a week and make sure i walk her for 45 minutes before dark. this seems to work for her and she is also a year old. good luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

How much daily exercise is he getting? A 20 minute fetch session just won't cut it for the majority.

I have two GSD mix brothers and they might as well be the Energizer bunny dogs. They require a romp in the morning, a let out at noon, and longer (multiple) sessions in the evenings. (Multiple because it seems to tire them out more to mix outdoor, then inside stuff AND because it is so hot here now.)

Do learn some ways to wear him out mentally, too. A nice mix seems to make for a much calmer dog. A class is a great way to start, if you're not doing that now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page