If you're on the fence about training classes, if you think you can do it yourself... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

If you're on the fence about training classes, if you think you can do it yourself...

Don't!

We started Advanced Obedience tonight. One of the trainers came over and said, you know, here's what I think you should do different. (to straighten up the sit.) HOLY COW, her method was awesome. I need more practice, but it works so well.

I never would've thought to do it her way. Couldn't have come up with it on my own, nor have I seen it suggested here or anywhere.

Point being! Training classes are such a wealth of information. We've been thru Beg Obedience twice (changed facilities,) Intermediate and now Advanced and on our first night, I received what I consider super valuable advice. My goodness, what might we learn in the weeks ahead?

Even if you "only" want a pet dog with no plans to compete (which I have no plans for,) learning all the methods and perspectives of the trainers is absolutely priceless. It is just knowledge you won't have/get on your own. If you're the average person, classes are the way to go. You won't regret it.

That is my Public Service Announcement for today. Spend the money and the time. You *will* get a better result than trying to do it yourself.

<<Off soapbox>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Master Member

Definitely. I tried training my girl by myself using tips from this forum and other articles. There were some commands that I just couldn't grasp. Went to a trainer and we learned it in a couple of days. It's phenomenal.

Abby - Jan. 1, 2011 to Dec. 27, 2013
Bandit - Sept. 17, 2012
Rogue - Feb. 14, 2014
"A tired dog is a happy one
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Elite Member

It really is great. I remember when I first went started training my golden (I think I would have been somewhere between 12 and 14...I don't remember exactly) it was super informative, and I've used many of the same methods with Sasha, tweaking it of course because they're different dogs. When I took Sasha to her beginner class she already knew the commands, but the ability to increase her focus around other dogs was priceless.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post

We started Advanced Obedience tonight. One of the trainers came over and said, you know, here's what I think you should do different. (to straighten up the sit.) HOLY COW, her method was awesome. I need more practice, but it works so well.

I never would've thought to do it her way. Couldn't have come up with it on my own, nor have I seen it suggested here or anywhere.

Do tell?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 AM

This is good to read. I do plan to do formal training, but sometimes I catch myself thinking why spend the money, blahblah, I am experienced with dogs, etc.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Crowned Member

100% agree

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think you need to precede tha with "by a competent trainer"

When Petsmart puts up an add "dog trainers needed, no experience required" (honest), then I look elsewhere. (though sometimes they have a good trainer)

But you need to find a trainer who shares your philosophy...and be prepared to stand up to them or walk if they don't. I definitely think you can get down the basics at home and use the class for distractions and fine tuning.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Elite Member

Good post. I think you are preaching to the choir here on this forum!!

Class is a MUST for inexperienced dog owners. We all see those disasters everyday, right!

For those of us with some knowledge on how to train..classes are a good choice because it forces us to do
our homework!! lol Also,provides the much needed socialization and just good structure to your activities and training with your dog.

I have two trainers I use,, one for mostly socialization, distraction, base training and then another for fine tuning and learning more complicated skills for obediance.

Plus, you have fun and make new friends..win/win for everyone!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Great post and I agree 100%. Our first dog was a great dog and we did all the training ourselves (black lab). We originally thought with Angel - why spend the money, we did great with Jasmine, but then with all our research and the socialization needed, we decided to opt for classes (local trainer). it has been AWESOME!! Angel loves going to class, we are in intermediate obedience now, and she is doing great.

The socialization aspect is good, we are learning so many tips/tricks for training, and doing our homework! Angel is 7 1/2 months old now and doing absolutely great with her commands. Come still needs a little work to be consistant, but she is doing great with things like Stay, Wait, etc!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
When Petsmart puts up an add "dog trainers needed, no experience required" (honest), then I look elsewhere. (though sometimes they have a good trainer)
Come on now...they send you to the 6 week 'trainers school'..... or is it 2 weeks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page