German Shepherds Forum banner

Proper use of a flirt pole???

20K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  maxtmill 
#1 ·
I made my own version of a flirt pole. It was nothing more than a toy, attached to a rope on a long rod.

I'm going to order a properly made one, because Kira goes berserk over it. She has so much drive, that she'll chase that thing, until her tongue is on the floor.

So THAT brings me to a few questions: (anyone surprised?) LOL

1) What is the purpose of a flirt pole? Is it create drive? If so, I don't think Kira needs that, at this point.

2) Are there any specific exercises that I should be doing with a first pole?

3) Am I being a pain in the ass? :)

#2 ·
LOL on #3.

I don't think so, I watch your questions too since they're so close in age. I use one with Rocket, he loves it also. I don't know any "proper" methods, I just use it to teach release and how to jump and have fun. I'll be interested in the responses. Some lady stopped her car and got out when I was on a busy street and in a fenced in grassy area (that is going to be a power station someday--there is a 4 lane busy road right next to it) and asked me if I did training because she has a GSD puppy too. o_O I said, "Erm, no. I'm just playing".

:)

#4 ·
LOL... You should make some business cards :)

Teaching the release is something I haven't done yet. That's a good idea. I may have reservations about her jumping. Other may want to chime in on this one.
Rocket is young as is Kira, and to the best of my understanding, jumping up and down, may not be a good idea yet.

I'll wait for other opinions on that one too.

I use it with puppies to encourage and develop prey drive at a young age.
It is then transfered to a bite wedge, bite pillow, then onto a sleeve.

I will still occassionally play with the flirt pole with adults because they like it so well.

I just fling it around wildly at this point try my best to keep it away. You try keeping a flirt pole away from even on adult dog off leash...:wild:
OK, so you're encouraging the use of a flirt pole, even though the drive is already there? Is this something I can count on using long term?

#3 ·
I use it with puppies to encourage and develop prey drive at a young age.
It is then transfered to a bite wedge, bite pillow, then onto a sleeve.

I will still occassionally play with the flirt pole with adults because they like it so well.

I just fling it around wildly at this point try my best to keep it away. You try keeping a flirt pole away from even on adult dog off leash...:wild:

#6 ·
I just borrowed a buggy whip from a teammate - chep and works well to tie the light toy on.

Right now Beau just dropped all his puppy canines so I am not tugging too hard. Not sure if I did right or not but I used to build on his prey drive by him chasing and eventually catching the toy then some light tug

I started out from day one everytime he brought the ball back paired it with dropping the ball. He does pretty good with that now.

#8 ·
Molly loves her flirt pole she goes bananas for it! I find it is great to do Obedience training while we are having fun. I make her sit and stay while I swing it back and forth until I say okay then the game is on! I also found it great for teaching the "out" command

#16 ·
I use mine just to tire him out (and sometimes I mix some training in- like we heel around and then I release him and he chases the flirt pole toy).

I have used it since he was much younger and I just don't make him jump in the air- I just keep it on the ground.

I like to show people who come over how much he likes it- they are amazed by how focused on it/me he can be! I think all dogs (who enjoy chasing things) can have the same focus.

#18 ·
I use it to have fun, first and foremost with my dogs. They love it so much that they literally go cuckoo as soon as they see me go after it. We practice OB when we re playing with it. I work on recall, heeling, focus, leave it, and anything else I can think of (sit, down, down/stay) It is great in so many ways- and yes, with an adult dog that loves it, it can be difficult to keep it away from them :silly: (I can only play with one dog at a time or I WILL get hurt!)

#19 ·
There is just so much knowledge on this board. You guys amaze me.

I'm very grateful, that you take the time to share, what probably took years of experience to learn.

Is there a preferred toy for a flirt pole?
I see that some come with, what looks like a shammy-cloth.

#20 ·
Is there a preferred toy for a flirt pole?
I use whatever stuffed toy is in the $0.99 bin at Target because it's going to get destroyed.

I work "drop it" or "out" several times a day. I'll give him something like a stuffed toy or dishrag or ball and then I'll chase him around the house for it-- he thinks that's a lot of fun-- and then I'll say "Drop it" and he drops it immediately and gets a little bit of something really yummy. Then we go right back to the game. For commands that have the potential to be buzzkills like "drop it" and "come" you want to make sure you reward and then go back to playing as quickly as possible.

As was said before, when you're tugging or using the flirtpole you want to make sure the object is "dead" in her mouth; she won't want to give it up if it's "alive."

#22 ·
It also helps to make the dog think that she is causing the toy to move, that the toy is reacting to her movements. Act like it's a real squirrel to help develop prey drive. In real life, a squirrel wouldn't just sit there waiting for her to bite, nor would it thrash about and circle wildly around her while she's sitting still. The squirrel doesn't want to get caught, and, like others said, when it does get caught, it stops moving. And that's when she can proudly present you with her "catch!"

#23 ·
Here's my video of Halo with the Chase-it toy, which is basically a flirt pole:

I have VERY little room to work in my tiny little yard, so I'm very limited on what I can do, but we were working on impulse control with the toy, combined with mat work. Staying on the mat and making eye contact earned her the release to play!

#29 ·
Thanks, Emoore for that suggestion, I picked one up today and a couple of cheap stuffed squeaker toys for a couple bucks each.

Bailey wants me to thank you. :) He thinks the flirt pole might be the most fun he's possibly ever had. :) My Shiba was tied out watching our flirt pole fun and going NUTSO, she wanted to play the game so bad. Then it got too dark and I couldn't see what I was doing, so we'll play again tomorrow. I definitely have two big fans here.

Only problem I had is that I'd occasionally let him get the toy, chew it, practice drop it... etc... and a few times do a little play tug. I'd tied the toy to the whip part with normal string. It came right off as soon as I made it into a tug game. Is there something better to use than string or is it better to just avoid any tug?

#30 ·
What I did was buy the toys that had rope as part of it. They have them at Target in the pet section, they are stuffed squeaky bones with a little rope sticking out of either end like this.

They're only a couple of dollars. Then I kind of wound the popper of the whip into the rope of the toy and tied a knot in each. That held it pretty good until the toy was destroyed.

#32 ·
What I did was buy the toys that had rope as part of it. They have them at Target in the pet section, they are stuffed squeaky bones with a little rope sticking out of either end like this.

They're only a couple of dollars. Then I kind of wound the popper of the whip into the rope of the toy and tied a knot in each. That held it pretty good until the toy was destroyed.
Ok, thanks I'll try that.

#31 ·
I went to walmart and bought some burlap in the fabric dept. I tied a knotted piece of burlap to my whip from TCS. The burlap with knots moves pretty easy and the pup can grip it well.

#33 · (Edited)
Agile - Great video! I love the way you illustrate how to use a flirt pole to develop drive for an obedience reward! The flirt pole is often used by protection people, but it can be a great way to get your dog excited about a tug reward that can fit in your pocket.

Also, I think you can put just about anything on the end of the pole and make the dog chase it. When I brought my whip home ($10 from Tractor Supply) I used an old (but clean), notted dishrag. Have fun!

#34 ·
I recently bought a flirt pole for Stella. I attached an old sock filled with some treats to the end. Haven't used it a whole lot yet. For now we have used the water from the hose to chase. We play the same as we would with the flirt pole. But the grass gets slippery when wet so we have to be careful. I guess I will be using the flirt pole more when the hose gets turned off....
I was wondering if the quick movements and change of direction are damaging to the joints at all?

#37 ·
Yeah, I built my own flirt pole last week (with a tennis ball on the end since that's Carli's obsession), but she has quickly figured out to just grab the string I have it attached to and pretty much bypass chasing the ball very much. I fear my girl has outsmarted me (so far) on this one.

#36 ·
We flirt pole two to three times a day along with two mile long walks a day to burn off Rocco's energy. He's 5 months. He loves it! We use it to work on his downs, stays, leave it, and out commands. It's a joy to Rocco's pure raw physical energy and motion when he chases the toy. We make our own fleece braids for the toy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.