Training Stay - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tiffany05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 92
Training Stay

So I've watched videos saying that first you work on duration and then distance. I can get my puppy to stay for about a minute between a treat, but she doesn't understand the hand signal (or command) for stay or free at all yet. Do I wait till she understands those commands, before I go for distance? Do I still need a longer duration? I know this is a very amateur question, but I just feel like I'm screwing this simple trick up.
Tiffany05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Blazings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Near Arnhem (Netherlands)
Posts: 231
Hi I'm not very experienced with puppies, so I won't be giving advise about that. But for other that can help you, it's a good thing to include the age of your puppy and how long you have been training these commands with it

Feel free to add me on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blazings is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Moderator
 
gsdraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mont Co, PA
Posts: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany05 View Post
So I've watched videos saying that first you work on duration and then distance. I can get my puppy to stay for about a minute between a treat, but she doesn't understand the hand signal (or command) for stay or free at all yet. Do I wait till she understands those commands, before I go for distance? Do I still need a longer duration? I know this is a very amateur question, but I just feel like I'm screwing this simple trick up.
Why do you think she doesn't know the command "stay" if she is staying for a minute? Can you break down exactly what you are doing (what you say, what hand movements you make and where you are standing relative to your dog)? I think it will help others know what you are doing wrong in order to tell you how to fix it.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gsdraven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Master Member
 
valreegrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southeast PA, USA
Posts: 606
Your right, the breakdown of stay is distance, duration, distraction.

The key is to stay at the level where the pup is not getting frustrated, or adding too much distance or duration for that pups level. Also, the rule of thumb is normally 5 times done correctly before moving forward to the next step.
Another tip: when practicing a stay, always go back to the front before releasing. Never call your dog to you after a stay.

This is an example curriculum for stay:

1.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait a couple seconds mark and reward. (Mark with either clicker/good) Do this 5 times.
2.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait 10-15 seconds mark and reward. Do this 5 times.
3.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait 15-30 seconds mark and reward. Do this 5 times.
4.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait 30-45 seconds mark and reward. Do this 5 times.

Up to about a minute, then add distance.

5.) Ask for stay, take a step to the side (at this point stepping back will only encourage your dog to follow). Wait a couple seconds, step back and reward. 5 times.
6.) Ask for stay, take a step to the side. Wait 10-15 seconds, step back and reward. 5 times.

Up to about a minute again. Then add more distance.

7.) As for a stay, take two steps to the side. Wait a couple seconds, step back and reward.

Work this by taking a step to both sides of the dog. Once you have this done up to a minute, take a step back. Then continue to add distance again.

Then comes distraction, and with distraction you start right back in front of your dog again adding duration than distance again in the same order.

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
valreegrl is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member
 
Rerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,991
I use the above technique as well and it's very effective. Except I don't ask, I tell.
Rerun is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tiffany05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazings View Post
Hi I'm not very experienced with puppies, so I won't be giving advise about that. But for other that can help you, it's a good thing to include the age of your puppy and how long you have been training these commands with it
She is basically 10 weeks now and I've been working on it for about a week. I know she is just a puppy, but she has basically all the other real basics down pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Why do you think she doesn't know the command "stay" if she is staying for a minute? Can you break down exactly what you are doing (what you say, what hand movements you make and where you are standing relative to your dog)? I think it will help others know what you are doing wrong in order to tell you how to fix it.
I stand about a foot away from her and have her sit. Then I give the generic hand signal for stay and say the german command for stay at the same time. Half the time she jumps at my hand, though. I then click and give her treats at varying intervals. When I try and release her, I say "free", give a dramatic arm movement all while stepping back. She, though, will continue to sit there for another 5 seconds.
Tiffany05 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tiffany05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by valreegrl View Post
Your right, the breakdown of stay is distance, duration, distraction.

The key is to stay at the level where the pup is not getting frustrated, or adding too much distance or duration for that pups level. Also, the rule of thumb is normally 5 times done correctly before moving forward to the next step.
Another tip: when practicing a stay, always go back to the front before releasing. Never call your dog to you after a stay.

This is an example curriculum for stay:

1.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait a couple seconds mark and reward. (Mark with either clicker/good) Do this 5 times.
2.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait 10-15 seconds mark and reward. Do this 5 times.
3.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait 15-30 seconds mark and reward. Do this 5 times.
4.) Ask for stay, pup right in front. Wait 30-45 seconds mark and reward. Do this 5 times.

Up to about a minute, then add distance.

5.) Ask for stay, take a step to the side (at this point stepping back will only encourage your dog to follow). Wait a couple seconds, step back and reward. 5 times.
6.) Ask for stay, take a step to the side. Wait 10-15 seconds, step back and reward. 5 times.

Up to about a minute again. Then add more distance.

7.) As for a stay, take two steps to the side. Wait a couple seconds, step back and reward.

Work this by taking a step to both sides of the dog. Once you have this done up to a minute, take a step back. Then continue to add distance again.

Then comes distraction, and with distraction you start right back in front of your dog again adding duration than distance again in the same order.

Thank you so much for this! I'll start doing this method!
Tiffany05 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Knighted Member
 
Kayla's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,841
Sounds like you and your puppy are doing great----and you might be a tad bit impatient with getting some results. Remember at that age, repetition in small increments adds up to a great foundation. Keep your sessions short with the puppy. Continue to repeat the exercise(s) at numerous intervals during the day. Repitition, not duration is what will aid in your success at this age. Make and keep it fun!

Have you started to teach a leave it command with your puppy? Another great command and can help with your work around baby and cat as well? Don't have either so outside of suggesting working on teaching this command, will leave advice/training tips to those with the experience in that area.

BTW, what's the pup's name? And have you posted pics yet?

Good luck and have fun with your pack!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Kayla's Dad is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Master Member
 
valreegrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southeast PA, USA
Posts: 606
Yup, at that age their attention span is fairly short.

To teach "leave it" suggested by Kayla's Dad:

Start with reward in one hand, closed fist around the treat. Say "leave it" and drop your hand for her to sniff. The pup will naturally try to get at it. Once she turns her attention away from that hand, click and say "take it" and offer a treat from the other hand. (Note: The dog never gets the leave it treat.)
Again, 5 times.
Then open your fist and say "leave it", if she goes to take the treat close your fist and put it behind your back. Then restart. Once she turns attention away click and "take it" with the other hand. 5 times.
Harder, set the treat on the floor and say "leave it". If the pup goes to take the treat, cover it up with your foot. Restart. Again, attention turns away then "take it" click and reward.
Even harder, drop the treat on the floor and say "leave it". Same as above to recover, reward.

I like to turn this into a game once they really "get" the training. I will drop 2-3 treats between rewards. I also ask for a down and line them up in front of them as well.
Set them on the paw, etc. This gets them really thinking and paying attention so I jackpot reward at this stage.

Hopefully that was easy to understand. If I have a moment, I will try to get it on video for a visual reference.

FYI: Another good practice at this stage is just keeping rewards in your pocket. That way you can use your foundation training to build family manners. Getting into the trash, ask for a leave it then reward. Pick up a sock, leave it. Etc. I also like to use sits/stays as I work around the house as well, along with other things. My treat bag is usually attached to me during puppyhood.

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10

Last edited by valreegrl; 03-03-2011 at 12:39 PM.
valreegrl is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 31,969
Here's how I teach stay: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post1723463

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Cassidy's Mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome