ISO Training shock collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation ISO Training shock collar

I have a GSD in desperate need of a good working shock collar to train with. we are limited in funds as my husband has been laid off and I enter into Chemo in January. We have a GSD that is a great dog but we have gone as far as we can with the tools we have now. She is at a point that she will do as she pleases and we want that to change. If anyone has one they would be willing to sell on the cheaper side or can donate we are trying to be the best owners we can on limited budget. ANY help would be appreciated!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Live, Love Laugh then pray your dog doesn't chew it all up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Master Member

Have you tried a prong? You can get good results with those, and they're cheap.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

SPORTDOG makes a decent one at a reasonable price

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

I agree, the prong can get most things done for you. Shock collars can have disastrous results if used improperly and in my opinion, they are more useful for long distance corrections than anything else. If the dog is within reach, the prong is all you need.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

If you can't train a dog without an e collar you probably shouldn't be using one
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

How old is this dog?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
If you can't train a dog without an e collar you probably shouldn't be using one
Definitely this. If you're really struggling without an ecollar then ecollar is not a good tool to go to without lots of professional guidance (working with an experienced ecollar trainer in person). Ecollars are not a magic wand that will train your dog for you and if you attempt to use it that way you can end up unintentionally doing a lot more harm than good.
Id definitely recommend trying a prong collar (and learning how to properly fit and use it) for starters and hanging around the forum where you can find some helpful training info. But theres not really any way around the fact that its going to take a lot of time, effort, and self motivated learning to get a well trained dog.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

I have a Dogtra 1900ncp for sale for 150.

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Elite Member

Please, please, please if you get an e-collar, check out Lou Castle's website. It gives lots of information and steps to follow. Do NOT use an e-collar w/o doing research on Lou's website or w/o a dog trainer familiar with how they are used.

You can make things much, much worse with an e-collar if you are not educated.

Moriah
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennperry View Post
I have a GSD in desperate need of a good working shock collar to train with. we are limited in funds as my husband has been laid off and I enter into Chemo in January. We have a GSD that is a great dog but we have gone as far as we can with the tools we have now. She is at a point that she will do as she pleases and we want that to change. If anyone has one they would be willing to sell on the cheaper side or can donate we are trying to be the best owners we can on limited budget. ANY help would be appreciated!!!
What kind of training have you done so far and what brings you to say that you are "in desperate need of a ... shock collar?"

How old is the dog?

The purchase of an Ecollar is really an area of getting what you pay for. I suggest that you not go cheap. Quality and features are lacking in cheap units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page