Looking for Susan Barwig's 'The German Shepherd Book' - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Looking for Susan Barwig's 'The German Shepherd Book'

Anyone have a copy of it that they wish to sell? Pls respond by pm. Thanks!

FKA RunSarahRun
Chip v. Dog Pound (border terrier), CGC
Elly v. Rescue (GSD, GSRNE 346), HI(C), CGC, TT
RIP: Feli, Iris, Dago (GSDs), Bubi (spitz), Tanja and Robin (mutts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 02:58 AM
Crowned Member

I have this book and have said that it is the best encyclopedic book on the breed .

I just got my copy back from loaning it out .

good luck getting a copy

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 PM

http://www.amazon.com/GERMAN-SHEPARD-BOOK-Susan-Barwig/dp/B00K7JC2ZK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1432746961&sr=8-6&keywords=susan+barwig
http://www.amazon.com/German-Shepherd-Brenda-Abbott-Editors/dp/B000K7GTGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432746961&sr=8-2&keywords=susan+barwig
Both of these listings seem to be the First Edition, do not see the Second Edition (issued in 1999 and 2005) listed on Amazon offhand. Hoflin is still selling the Second Edition new: The German Shepherd Book | Hoflin Dog Books

You can also search on ABE Books, Biblio and Albris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Elite Member

I would like to buy this book. The 2nd edition is the newest and most updated version? If so, I'll order it from Hoflin. Sounds like a book that is essential for my library!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

TY, Pioneer, I am aware of the listings of the online booksellers. I asked whether anyone here has a copy they'd like to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer53 View Post
THE GERMAN SHEPARD BOOK: Susan, (Ed. ) Barwig: Amazon.com: Books

The German Shepherd Book: Brenda Abbott and Asa Mays, Editors Susan Barwig: Amazon.com: Books

Both of these listings seem to be the First Edition, do not see the Second Edition (issued in 1999 and 2005) listed on Amazon offhand. Hoflin is still selling the Second Edition new: The German Shepherd Book | Hoflin Dog Books

You can also search on ABE Books, Biblio and Albris.

FKA RunSarahRun
Old 05-27-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The online store that the author, the late Susan Barwig, founded many years ago sells the book as well, if you are looking for a new copy:
The German Shepherd Book in Books

FKA RunSarahRun
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

Ordered! So glad you guys informed me of this GSD book and Hoflin website.

This is what I bought from Hoflin Dog Books:

Quote:

THE GERMAN SHEPHERD BOOK
Second Edition

SECOND EDITION. $79 + $10 s&h ($28 in Canada, $45 outside US/Canada). A comprehensive encyclopedia of the GSD. 720 pages in the large 8.5x11 size with over 1,200 photos, with 16 pages in full color. Covers care, breeding, training, origin, showing, the major kennels, and much more. This exciting book is a MUST for every German Shepherd lover's library. The vet sections are by Dr. Asa Mays, editor of the Merck Veterinary Manual.
Quote:

ALASKAN TRAILS - SIBERIAN DOGS

by John Douglas Tanner, Jr., 120 pages, 8.5 x 11", hardcover, $50 + $5 s&h ($15 outside US). Each books is individually signed by the author. "John has produced a work that will be tresured for years to come. Profusely illustrated with photos from the past and wonderfully narrated, this book is truly a classic." - Kathleen Kanzler "This book is the first published history encompassing the Siberian Huskies' impact during the Name Sweepstakes era and the following decade." - Natalie Norris " Alaskan Trails - Siberian Dogs is a MUST read for the novice as well as the serious fancier." - J. Robert Page
Quote:

PRIMITIVE BREEDS - PERFECT DOGS
by Vladimir Beregovoy and Jill Moore Porter.
Softcover $85 + $5 s&h U.S. (+$15 Canada; +$22 Foreign). 424 pages. The modern classic of the sport of dogs.

James W. Grier, Professor of Zoology, North Dakota State University, Fargo writes:
This book takes us back to the roots of the dog's genealogical tree. Primitive breeds are distinguished from cultured breeds, to the extent that is possible, and the origins from different races of wolves are considered. The various primitive breeds themselves are then further described. All of this is done on a sound biological basis, in view of the latest scientific research, in a concise, clear, interesting, and engaging style that any dog lover can follow. In fact, if others are like me, this book will probably recruit many readers to the growing ranks of those who take another look at and become quickly fascinated by the primitive breeds!
Sally Wallis, Zande Basenjis, U. K. writes:

The 'It's NEW, I gotta have one !' brigade should be banned from buying this book. "Primitive Breeds - Perfect Dogs" by Vladimir Beregovoy & Jill Moore Porter provides a wealth of information on ancient and rare breeds which are probably unknown to, and unrecognised by, the vast number of people who I sincerely hope will find and enjoy this book.
It is not just a catalogue of canines. To genuinely interested dog-lovers and seekers after knowledge, it offers an insight into the history, original purposes, health and characteristics of many primitive breeds from the four corners of the earth. The question 'what did dogs do before they met Man' is something which always fascinates me. Within the pages of this book, Vladimir and Jill explore and answer such questions. My own Breed survived very successfully for over 6,000 years and it is only now, in this so-called civilised era, that harm may come to it. This book carries the message that dogs are dogs, they are not humans, and their needs are not as ours. We should respect them, learn from them and remember they are descended from the wilderness. They civilised, perhaps, because they saw civilisation as expedient. Their instincts for survival are untamed.
This is neither a coffee-table book nor is it something to sit down and read from cover to cover. Rather, it is a book to cherish and to visit, over and over again. And if you find you can't put it down after all, that is because it is so very readable.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:21 AM

Glad you found the links helpful Counter (since RunShepherdRun did not...) Hope you will enjoy your new book when it arrives.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer53 View Post
Glad you found the links helpful Counter (since RunShepherdRun did not...) Hope you will enjoy your new book when it arrives.
Yes, very helpful indeed! Thank you again.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

Received my 3 books today. Funny, but Susan Barwig's name is nowhere to be found inside the GSD Book. I'm assuming she was given credit for the 1st edition, but there are 2 new names given credit for the 2nd edition. All 3 books seem to be worth my money. Can't wait to dive in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in