I had an idea. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I had an idea.

So I started thinking of things to do with Ammo. One thing that crossed my mind was hunting for deer sheds. Then I started wondering what I would do with all the sheds we find. I came up with an idea but wanted some feedback on it.

I was thinking about starting an etsy store and selling the sheds for dog treats. I also thought about making and selling flirt poles. I made a flirt pole and also bought a $30 from amazon. I like the one I made a lot better. I have a friend who makes horse and dog coats and usually has a lot of extra material, to use for the toys on the flirt poles.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone other than me? Do you think people would actually buy deer sheds for their dogs? Also what other ideas can you come up with for things I could make and sell online? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ammo Spikey Dog Brinx "Brinx"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

deer sheds? Antlers? People buy them all the time. The question would be can you legally sell them as treats under the FDA.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yes antlers. Guess I should have just said antlers.

I know a friend who sells some on her etsy account. I'll have to ask her if she had to go through the FDA to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

It might matter how you advertise them. If they are advertised as "dog treats" it might fall under the FDA

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Master Member

I don't think Etsy allows you to sell things you just find on the ground as dog food. I would sell them as "craft supplies" and mention that dogs love to chew on them.

If you like crafty things, you could sell dog booties and custom hankerchiefs as well. Very easy and cheap to make, high mark-up, pretty high demand.

Do you have any resources for teaching how to hunt antler sheds? I was looking into AKC tracking with my dog but it seems way too involved. Maybe sheds would be easier?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

Exactly Kaimeju! It's all in how it's phrased! lol

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimeju View Post
I don't think Etsy allows you to sell things you just find on the ground as dog food. I would sell them as "craft supplies" and mention that dogs love to chew on them.

If you like crafty things, you could sell dog booties and custom hankerchiefs as well. Very easy and cheap to make, high mark-up, pretty high demand.

Do you have any resources for teaching how to hunt antler sheds? I was looking into AKC tracking with my dog but it seems way too involved. Maybe sheds would be easier?
My friend labels them as dog chews harvested from the Rocky Mountain region. Seems to work for her.

I looked up a video about training a dog to hunt deer sheds. It was very informative and made it sound not to difficult. Hopefully this link will take you to the video

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page