Do you have a spare/for sale dog Seat Belt? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Do you have a spare/for sale dog Seat Belt?

I have had Rocky for a year and four months now and not once has he worn a seat belt. I was not being a bad owner---I had honestly NEVER heard of this until two days ago when I read a post on the forum and someone mentioned it. Now I have read all the posts I can about it.

I am looking for a Champion, PetBuckle, or similiar type seatbelt with metal clips rather than plastic ones that can attach to the seat belt BUCKLE, not the seat belt itself.

If no one replies in the next few days, I will just buy one off of the internet. Since the one I really want (Champion) is around 64$ after shipping, I was hoping someone might have an outgrown or spare one they were willing to sell. I have been out of job for over 4 months, but had an interview at a resort today where a friends works and I am 90% sure I got the job!

Rocky is 65 pounds and would fit the Medium2 Champion belt or GSD size other belts.

Thank you very much.

(I am hoping to get both the harness and the clip that buckles into the seatbelt if possible.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

Hope you don't mind my response...I don't have one to sell you but I really like the Champion system we bought...just in case you have to break down and buy one. It did take a long time to get it...that was the only thing...I think close to a month? But I called and they were very nice over the phone. I get the impression this is a small operation.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

I'll add two thoughts on the Champion. First- a while back there were issues with them processing orders in a timely fashion. I've not heard of this being an issue recently. In fact, a friend of mine just bought one from them and had it within a week.

Second- the Champion harness does not clip into the seat belt buckle. They use a very heavy threaded chain link that hooks onto the belt. One of these:

You can see exactly how it hooks in here:

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you for the replies and fixing the seat belt buckle impression. I must have misunderstood/been blind while on the website lol

If it takes a month, I will probably go to petsmart and get one of theirs temporarily until it comes in. Better something than nothing.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

From the looks of that system...you could buy a seatbelt harness anywhere and then go to TSC, pick up a trailer tie in the equine section, and a clamp in the hardware section.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Rua
Master Member

Have you tried ebay? I have a CLIX Car Safe Harness for my dog. They are normally quite expensive in the pet shops, but I got mine for just over €10 on ebay.

Only problem is that I bought the harness in large (the size recommended for GSDs) and my girl hasn't quite grown into it yet. She's nearly there though. It's a nice harness...it's got the seat belt clip thingy so you can plug it straight into your car's belt buckle. Easy to get on and off too. Highly recommended!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

You can get the harness that hooks up to the seat belt at Petsmart...All of mine have them and they work well. They still can move to sit or lay down, but they can't fly forward..I have a 80 pound very strong golden retriever and he didn't budge with it. Good for you on getting one too..people look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them if they have a seatbelt for their dog

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

You can get a seatbelt and harness that hook into the buckle of the seatbelt for about $12 at Amazon, if that's the type you're looking for.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
From the looks of that system...you could buy a seatbelt harness anywhere and then go to TSC, pick up a trailer tie in the equine section, and a clamp in the hardware section.
The harness that they sell really is much more heavy duty than anything else sold in the store. I believe it is also crash tested where as the cheaper harnesses are not. The strap probably could be made.

In a pinch, I use the strap connected to an easy walk; mostly because I don't have a Champion harness small enough to fit some of the pups that come through but I am considering investing in one for when I don't want the crate setup.

Both Raven and Kaiser have the Champion harness but I am not very good about putting it on them. That and Kaiser can get out of it so it's not reliable for keeping him safe.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure which harness I have but I know it wasn't cheap. I'll have to look tomorrow. Think it's in the car. My point was that if it was a month waiting for the clip, a person could buy a harness and get the other stuff elsewhere. A horse trailer tie is built for an 1100 lb animal so should be sufficient to hold a dog in the event of an accident.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page