Thundershirt - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thundershirt

Looking for a Thundershirt at a reasonable price, if anyone has one they're willing to sell me. Koda weighs about 85 pounds, to give you an idea of the size I need. Let me know, please!

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

FB: Melina D Photography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Just a quick suggestion for you to try until you get the thundershirt: buy some boys undershirts/a-shirts at Target, Walmart, etc. You can buy a package of several for about $10 or less and they will provide the compression effect, allowing you to make do until you get the real thing. I would suggest you buy a size that is a little small for your dog, so you get the snugness/compression (a-shirts are ribbed and have some stretch), and you may find the need to modify it - a few choice cuts or tears to make Koda comfortable.

Just a thought.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you! If this doesn't pan out, I'll do that...

I found an XL Thundershirt on Ebay that I'm going to bid on. The auction ends in a few hours and it's only at $10, plus shipping, which put the price way below the $40 asking price everywhere else. We'll see what happens.

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 PM

I strongly urge you to get an Anxiety Wrap versus a Thundershirt. The Anxiety Wrap is the original patented pressure wrap designed for dogs - and cats - by Susan Sharpe, certified professional dog trainer and it has been recently shown in a study performed at the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine to be effective in 89% of dogs suffering from Thunderstorm phobia. Compare this to the self-reported "over 80%" effectiveness of the Thundershirt in in a survey of Thundershirt customers.

The Anxiety Wrap applies more maintained pressure than any other product currently on the market, and it also applies pressure to acupressure points in the neck, chest, shoulders, belly, mid-section and rear legs.

I'm a professional dog trainer and have used the Anxiety Wrap on my own dog as well as my clients' dogs with general and separation anxiety. It is important to make sure you get an appropriate diagnosis for your dog from a licensed veterinarian who will rule out any medical causes for you dog's anxiety. Then consult a professional, reward-based trainer with experience in behavior modification using accepted protocols to help you develop a comprehensive behavior modification plan.

If you cannot afford a trainer right now, the Anxiety Wrap folks will be glad to offer you free tips and advice at no extra charge! I strongly encourage you to purchase an Anxiety Wrap!

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., KPA-CTP
Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Owner, Canine Connection LLC
Dubuque, Iowa
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Cindy, I checked it out and it does seem to be cheaper as well.

My concern is that I'm not using it for Thunder, I'm using it as Koda gets anxious around other dogs on walks. He begins to whine and bark uncontrollably, and I'd like to see if it remedies the issue. Do you think that the Anxiety Wrap will work for that as well?

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 PM

you don't need a thundershirt or anything else.

he's wanting to go meet the other dog.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
you don't need a thundershirt or anything else.

he's wanting to go meet the other dog.

At the expense of ripping my arm off and alerting the whole neighborhood with his high pitch whines.

Not to mention I got into a near fatal car accident just over a month ago, had surgery on my arm and shoulder, fractured my leg, and am still recuperating. I can't let him pull me to the ground because he wants to go meet another dog.

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM

yup, i agree.
and a thundershirt or anything else won't help you with him wanting to meet another dog.
only training, that he only meets other dogs on your terms, not his, will get him to stop those behaviors.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Master Member

i have a thunder shirt for zero and it has helped quite a bit. you have to gradually introduce him to things with it on and praise them when they are calm. hes done great with his

"And they call it...puppy looooovvveeee"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina View Post
At the expense of ripping my arm off and alerting the whole neighborhood with his high pitch whines.

Not to mention I got into a near fatal car accident just over a month ago, had surgery on my arm and shoulder, fractured my leg, and am still recuperating. I can't let him pull me to the ground because he wants to go meet another dog.
I'm not completely sure if a Thundershirt or Anxiety Wrap will help with that, although they could. Possibly you could look into DAP spray, or maybe Bach's Rescue Remedy to help calm him? And of course I'm sure you know that doing lots of work on his leash manners and all that will help too - but you probably do need something to help NOW, especially while you are recovering. (I hope that's going well, by the way, I just read the whole thread about your accident last night and saw the pictures - OUCH!)

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page