German Shepherd Dog Review Magazines - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

German Shepherd Dog Review Magazines

Hi all,
I have an almost complete set of German Shepherd Dog Reviewed magazines from the german shepherd dog club of america (German Shepherd Dog Club of America - Information and resources for owners of German Shepherd Dogs and Puppies) from the 1950s to the mid 2000s. Im asking from $10—20 each for these depending on age. These are very hard to find, but they are very informative. Ive looked through them all, but i would rather not keep them because i kno others would have more of an opportunity to enjoy these than i do right now. Message me or just ask for more info, thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

do you have an issue from 1997, or any issues really, with marhaven's color guard, the 1997 grand victor, on the cover or featured anywhere in the magazine? also, not sure what year (and don't want to go look it up), but i think it was in the 70's, featuring hollimor's judd, another american show lines grand victor, or feature stories on his handler, jim norris?

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

whoa, scuse me, that would be hollAmor's judd. jim would roll over that i mispelled a dog's name that i knew so well, lolol...

anyway, any issues of the review that feature the boss or judd?

mom to the cashman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

hi! im so sorry-I just saw your replies. I definitely have a few of Boss, and I will look in the 70s to see if there are any of Judd-and/or his handler-im sure there are. I'll get them together and I can let you know sometime tomorrow, or ASAP. Sorry for the delay!!!
-Bree
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

cool, whatever you have i'll take 'em!

just lemme know!!!

mom to the cashman
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

ok ill let you know as soon as I get them together, thank you!! By the way I LOVED Boss.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Crowned Member

i have a very late in life boss son (lots of grandsons and great grandsons out there but not many direct sons left), looks a whole lot like his daddy...he's coming 8 years old, was born on my birthday. while lots of people dis the health problems inherent in american show lines, the cashman has actually the best health of any shepherd i've ever had, his entire eight year vetting history has been a toe nail trim every two weeks and his neuter at age 6. seriously. knock on wood, i feel so fortunate!!! all boss kids are "talkers" and he's no exception. talk, talk, talk, lolol. have you ever seen the video of boss winning the national? it is truly amazing to see...two hours of gaiting, all the other dogs were panting and workin' hard...boss was floating around the ring with his head up, ears forward, mouth closed. man there is NOTHIN' like a beautifully moving shepherd. check 'im out...he's my baby boy!

THE ADVENTURES OF SERAPHINA BLUE & THE MAN IN BLACK

mom to the cashman
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Crowned Member

How fun you found those, My newest puppy is 3-3 on Boss. Love that puppy girl!

What is it that people liked about Boss?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi katieliz, I just wanted to let you know I'm still working on getting those magazines together. I've been busy-was in a car accident, I'm fine though, just dealing with insurance. So far I've found 5 with boss, and I'll get in the boxes to find judd.

The reviews are bringing back great memories. I used to show american lines when I was younger and enjoyed it, a few all breed, but mostly specialty shows. I got out of it because of the poor temperaments I kept seeing and have to disguise in the dogs I would show for people and also the over-extreme angulation which, at least in my area, the more the dog had the more it would guarantee you a win. Not all dogs were like this of course-I just felt guilty that I was winning with dogs that I didn't think were true examples of the breed.

I've always been a fan of boss even though I was only able to see him once! Yes he was an awesome mover. You're blessed to have such a great and healthy dog by him. Cashman is absolutely beautiful-gorgeous color, bone, and structure. I went through your whole blog looking at his photos and comments. Cashman has beeeeautiful confirmation, doesn't appear extreme at all, but looks like he'd be a Great mover. He reminds me of boss too-the head, deep chest, and structure. He also sounds like he has a wonderful temperament also, like boss.

Hi samba, I'm not 100% sure, but I think what people like so much about boss was his 1) health-very healthy...beautiful structure-proper angulation,gorgeous head, substantial bone, amazing/correct mover...2) temperament-some people compared him to having working-like drives, also he didn't give up in the show ring like katieliz said,was always on the go/dignified...3) color-beautiful bicolor... 4) All around great dog-he was an AOE(award of excellence) dog, where the applicants must not only be a champion but at least a select ch., must have at least one performance title, be hip and elbow certified, and also be temperament certified. He was strong reproducer of his qualities too, being able to produce many select champions and akc working dogs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

My pup is out of a Boss granddaughter. I believe the owner mentioned she went to Boss for temperament. I do know the two Boss progeny she had were strong dogs who owned some aggression. Her Boss duaghter is still alive and is a stand out regarding confidence, strenth, protectiveness in the kennel.

Our pup is very confident. The co-owner has her and remarks that she is much stronger in temperament than others she has raised. She was a drivey and bitey baby pup. My friend thought she was mean, but being used to WL puppies, I thought she was normal. She has angulation to be sure, but has never had incorrect rear action.

Hope the health factor carries over, but pedigrees are made of many dogs.

In pictures, Boss does not look so extreme. I do like a more moderate dog that can still exhibit good motion. Bella has good rear follow through. This is something I see lacking in the ring any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page