Interfering with dog's scenting ability? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

What the Lemongrass smell if you do nosework. I can't remember which organization but one uses it as a scent.. Kind of dumb as it is a common ingredient in natural tick treatments.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Knighted Member

NACSW uses birch, anise and clove. AKC uses birch, anise, clove and cypress. UKC uses birch, anise, clove, myrrh and vetiver. Clove is the one that baffles me, as it is a wonderful insect repellent. As far as I know, no one in the US uses lemongrass as a target odor.
dogbyte likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.

Last edited by GypsyGhost; 05-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok, well I don't feed coconut so no worries there. Maybe I will try the wondercide right after the next time I track him because it's usually a good few days between tracks for us, sometimes a week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Performance scent dogs also uses birch, anise and clove
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Elite Member

Use a paper towel or cloth and rub it on him instead of spraying it. I may start spraying the paper towels outside to cut down even further the air borne particles that spraying causes. I haven't noticed a difference in my boys odor detection abilities either.
car2ner likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Elite Member

Today I went outside to spray the paper towels first and then went inside to rub him down, it was a more pleasant experience for the nose. Just thought I'd relay my findings :-)

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:37 PM

The only thing I ever got that interfered with scenting was the time my GSD grabbed the hotdog plastic bag and swallowed it all bag and hotdog pieces. I went to the vet and he put an extremely small tablet in his eye. This was to make him throw up quickly. It took two tablets but in about a minute he coughed up the plastic bag.

We went racking shortly after as I had laid out a nice track earlier. I felt sorry for my dog as he loved tracking and simply couldn’t even find the start. We moved farther down the track but he just wandered around like he was lost. He seemed very frustrated so I put him for the day.

Lesson learned....don’t leave edibles where the dog can grab them.
car2ner likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

An interesting thing happened last night when we got to the marina. We live on a boat, not a house boat but large cruiser. We got home and parked near the boat. However it was pouring rain and blowing a hard cold wind. When I get out of the car I give a command to come out and wait while I lock up. Well, it was really nasty wet weather and my umbrella inverted immediately so I was soaked in a few seconds. There is no point in rushing now as you are as wet as you can get ....and cold. So I turned and gave our usual “find our boat” command. Samantha sniffs everything to the point of distraction. She immediately began sniffing the ground side to side where we had come out early in the morning. I really didn’t think she would actually track to the boat as there are things to pee on that she never misses.

Instead she just followed her nose so I just let her work. She got on the pier fine then seemed to immediately pick up scent. I use the hand rails as it’s pretty steep walkway. She moved over to the side I came up in the morning. Following almost step by step. Even wet and cold I was excited that she could do this with absolutely no training. Our finger or slip is the third boat. She followed perfectly right to the finger and turned down ours sniffing right to the end where we board. I was amazed even freezing cold and wet as I was. I’ve been in the situation before but not with this dog and felt soo good.

We got on board and up into the cockpit. Soaked. Sam shook herself off and I had a towel handy to dry her. She loves this. It’s a game we play getting rubbed kinda dry. You can’t wipe a long coat Aussie dry. Damp at best. We went into the warm cabin and dried off. I still am reliving a 100 point track in cold downpour. I don’t think my big Schutzhund GSD would have done that well on that track even with training.

I probably missed out with this dog by not pursuing scent work. She is a natural. Had I been in law enforcement I would have done scent with her. We do laundry. I get a close basket then tell her to go do laundry. She will run around and bring socks, underwear, tee shirts, what ever she can find. She gets treats for this.

I used to track in all weather with Tron. It didn’t matter to him. He wouldn’t even shake until we were done and he got his treat.
car2ner likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone

Last edited by Bentwings1; Yesterday at 09:03 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Something of note, dogs have 2 additional types of scent receptors compared to humans. The ratios of the different types of receptors are different as well.

They don't smell the same way we do, so something that has a strong odor to us may be different for dogs.

Anecdotal evidence of this is evident with a common explosive, RDX. It is the main component in C4. I can barely smell it at all, but I've had dogs hit on relatively small amounts at distances of hundreds of meters.

My only point is that just because you think a smell may be overwhelming doesn't mean a dog will share your experience. The inverse would also be true.
car2ner likes this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 05:43 AM

very interesting stories. I haven't used wondercide but when I spray bug repellent on myself, I'd rather spray onto a papertowel and then spread it onto my legs and arms. I don't want to be breathing those vapors anymore than I want my dogs to breath them. Glad someone brought this up.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page