Beginner help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Beginner help

I have tracked with my pup a whopping twice total now. Well 3 times if you count 2 seperate exercises at the beginner's clinic we attended.

At the clinic, he skipped ALL the food in his track (hot dogs). We stopped dropping it in the track and put piles on the articles, which I encouraged him to stop, noticd a d eat, then he would take off down the track again. He did seem to be tracking though, even though he wasnt eating BUT track was in very tall grass so visible, so maybe he was following what hd could see?

I took him out to try some short tracks yesterday. I did not put that much food in the track because I didn't think he would eat it. I did 2 short tracks with a mild turn in each, reward a few feet after turn.

He never picked up speed like at clinic. I would start him, he would sniff a few (5?) Feet, maybe find a treat, maybe pass over it, pick his head up and whine like he does when he isn't sure what he is supposed to be doing. I would the encouragehim to sniff again and could usually get him started. Slower pace fine by me, I think is better?

At clinic he had multiple articles along a short track, I only did articles at start and finish of mine, maybe should do more.

Any advice appreciated. We are training for AKC TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Other things I forgot:

Once or twice he overshot the treat and doubled back for it but then seemed confused as to what to dk next, so I would turn him around and restart him in the right direction. Good/bad?

I probably should have only done straight tracks till he seems proficient at that so I think I will only do that next time
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like you need to start over. I think you may be encouraging a hunting for things, but that's going to skip the obedience of foot step tracking. Have you tried just doing some scent pads? Its basically a square area crushed into the grass with a clearly defined edge to teach him to associate the disturbance/scent with finding the food. You can push it down in a little where he can't see it to encourage him to use his nose. I don't know what kind of an indication on the articles you need in AKC, but it still might be better to train it separate as a separate behavior then add it to the track later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Crowned Member

Steve - Where is that thread that you and Jim were posting on? Where the black GSD was starting tracking and there were videos?

TCG- AKC tracking is different than IPO tracking. Just a tidbit but that thread might help you.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

yes!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I asked about scent pads at the clinic since they didn't mention it. they said don't bother. Which is why I started with straight lines. AKC tracking is our goal, not IPO,
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

So I mean, is AKC considered foot step tracking? Because I know there is a pretty big difference in what AKC allows vs IPO.

I deliberately did not start before the clinic because I didn't want to do it all wrong to start with. it is hard because I can't get him that excited about the food in the track. boy he will track down wild animal scat though. Maybe I need to make him hungrier before training. I don't really know what is more enticing than hot dogs (except deer poop, apparently)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

Try Redbarn, Blue buffalo food rolls, happy howies. His meals!

Scent pads will teach him that the reward is in the scent.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

OK, I will try some different food. How long do you do scent pads before trying a straight line?

I was using her canned food, which is strangely gelatenous and able to be diced, it is stinky and he always begs for it when I give her a pill with it but maybe that isn't enough.

I was using Pet Botanics food rolls but thought it was contributing to soft stools. So I stopped. I will try one of those other brands and see what happens with his bowels.

As I understood it the indication can be anything at all as long as the handler retrieves the article and can show judge, dog can point it out with nose, pick it up in mouth, or down to indicate. I am guessing he will get picking it up in his mouth the easiest.

So you guys don't use any articles to start?

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 06-10-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page