OK- I'll take the plunge - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

OK- I'll take the plunge

At the risk of sounding like some idiot that has a dog that she thinks is wonderful............
I think I might.
What I know about her is she comes from good lines, has a fabulous temperment from everything I see at this point. I'm told her conformation is very nice, and her Schutzhund trainer tells me she has serious potential, and told me not to spay her. Her vet says she's healthy and her joints seem good so far.....But I will move ahead with prelims in a few months.
I have no desire to become a "breeder" in the business sense of the word. I have a career that I hope pays enough to let me undertake this whole thing if my puppy turns out as well as I think she might. I understand there is no potential to make money breeding puppies. I understand the time involved, the knowledge required (of which I presently have a very limited amount of but I am learning every day and since I would not be able to breed for at least two years I can learn more. Heck, I went to school for one year and became a radiation therapist...who knows what I can learn in two?) and the responsibilities involved. Disclaimer- I was already an x-ray tech, but you all get the point, I think.
I guess what is motivating this is that I really did not know the importance of good genetics in how a puppy will likely turn out. But this dog so far surpasses anything I could ever have hoped for, and maybe if she proves herself on the field, gets a good rating, and passes health checks with flying colors.....well then maybe I can find the right male to produce the kind of pups that will represent the working line GSD with pride.
Am I totally out in left field here?

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: OK- I'll take the plunge

Let's say everything turns out fantastic, she's earned a SchH II at a strange field with a strange and strong helper, the people are impressed and during training and titling you saw nothing that would be questionable nor discouraging. Also, she's healthy and doesn't have digestive issues, cleared hips and elbows, koreklassed and rated, the whole nine yards. The only issue I think may be a problem is that both her parents were not titled so I wonder if the owner of a good stud dog might have a problem with that and deny the breeding thus leaving you with difficult choices (and remember, don't choose mediocre). In the case of your bitch out of untitled parents, you may have to go the extra mile to convince the world that your bitch is a force to be reckoned with, if she indeed is.

I think this is a fair question and you know that your dog must be proven in order to be bred. Do realize that even if she does get titled, she may not be breedworthy (focused on the sleeve and not caring about the man at all, nerve issues that come out during protection phase, etc). I'm sure the experts and pros will flock in at any second as these threads attract members like a bottle of honey placed next to an ant nest attracts ants, so read, listen, observe, ask questions, listen some more, be a sponge, and learn.

Also, find a breeder who's very experienced with breeding to have as a mentor! The breed doesn't matter but it helps if it's remotely close to a GSD (mentoring with a lab breeder will translate better than mentoring with a yorkie breeder). Moderator Wisc Tiger has been a "whelp helper" with a weim breeder and, following her threads on the subject, it's clear that it is *very* enlightening.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

Everybody has to start at some points. Its true that breeding should be left for experts, but even those experts were novices at their beginnings. I see you are not considering to breed because of the cute factor of your beloved pet, but because you think, with the opinion of more experienced and knowledgeable people, that your pup can make an improvement on the breed as it is supposed to be, a working one. I've seen worst reasons.

There will be still a couple of years before you actually breed your female, if you ever do. In the meantime you are training and learning and I see nothing bad with consider the idea.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What I'm looking at in this moment is that she has shown up to this point (which is, admittedly very early in the whole process) the kind of potential that might lead to a very nice genetic makeup that might be worth passing on.
Should the next pieces not fit she will be spayed without a second thought nor a moment of regret.
Heck, I tried to get her spayed when she ate that sock, and left her at the vets thinking it would be done. But the vet was thinking she was too young to be that cut open since he had to get to her stomach so he didn't do it. Maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, maybe a moot point. It's WAY too early to tell.
I'm looking at this in the following terms-
My bitch must not be good, but exceptional, and that means proven both with screenings and on the field.
I must have the resources to tend to the needs of a pregnancy, whelping, and puppies.
I must be willing and able to keep any puppies I cannot find good homes for.
I must be able to commit to the time necessary to properly socialize puppies (which I understand to be a huge job in itself)
And I must understand that my pride in my bitch will be reflected in any pups she produces, so I will do everything in my power to only breed to a stellar male that will further the working dog lines from which she comes.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You are starting on the right path. You have a good feel for the responsibilities involved in breeding. Work your bitch, be honest with yourself about her faults and her virtues. If anything breeding bitches should be exceptional animals, far above average and have something to offer the breed beyond being an oven.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Crowned Member

You are travelling down the right road if this is your desire.Do your homework. Don't worry about the parents being untitled, concentrate on making sure your female is breedworthy. Your female won't pass the parents lack of titles to the puppies(I'm sure about that). And there are just as many knowledgable people who will evaluate the parents of the puppies and the pedigree and hip history of the parents, as the elitest who would eliminate a puppy because the granparents werent titled. Good breeders breed dogs and not titles trust me....Good Luck ,,if all things work out!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LucinaAm I totally out in left field here?
Nope. I think you're more hanging around home plate... definitely on the right road to becoming a good breeder.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Knighted Member

Everybody has to start somewhere I think that you have a very realistic opinion of breeding-keep training, learning, and see how she develops-sounds like you are on the right track

Trish Campbell

SG Harley v Triton BH,AD,T-1,RN,CGC,HIC,HOT
VP Myth v Triton BH,TT, CGC, Branka SchH3, KKL-2
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I have been continuing to work with Lucy and have seen only wonderful things from her. Our trainer, who has titled many dogs and knows her stuff continues to be impressed.
BUT- I have this incredible feeling that this is way above my knowledge and ability level, and that without that basic foundation I really should not breed, no matter how wonderful she turns out to be. The time commitment looms large and I feel like to do it half heartedly (because of my knowledge level and NOT my commitment) is to do a HUGE disservice to the breed and I'm not willing to do that.
So although I will not spay her anytime soon I think the chances I'll decide to breed her are slim. I know I can be sure there is not an unwanted pregnancy, so that is not a factor but my question is this-
Is it OK if you have a really top notch quality breed worthy dog and decide you as a breeder do not have what it takes and decide not to breed- is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

It's good that you are giving it some thought but why worry about breeding. Get the titles first and then think about it.

BTW- Who is your trainer?

Mom to:

Quiki vom Dreieck
aka Maya, TDI ~TC ~ CGC ~ TD ~ UDT

Fenja von Wolfstraum
aka Heidi, TDI ~ CGC ~ CD ~ BH

Gass Moravia Artex
aka Chico, BH ~ AD ~ SchH3

RIP- Roxy, Boone & King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page