Thoughts out loud, Question... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM

First thing to consider is his pedigree as he is too young for health testing, temperament testing and working titles. Have knowledgeable people look at it and give you feedback. Is he registered (if not, breeding is out) and do you have breeding rights? Asking because you call him a rescue?

Lee Hanrahan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedGSD View Post
First thing to consider is his pedigree as he is too young for health testing, temperament testing and working titles. Have knowledgeable people look at it and give you feedback. Is he registered (if not, breeding is out) and do you have breeding rights? Asking because you call him a rescue?

Excellent, thank you for the advice! Yes, we have full breeding rights and have his papers and everything. I’ve even spoken with the breeder myself!

He was purchased from a great breeder, but we “rescued” him from the individual who got him him as he was living in a very poor living environment and couldn’t take care of him. 😞

Fort Collins, Colorado
DOB: October 1, 2018

@jax.noco.gsd
Follow us on Instagram to see cute pictures and videos of Jax, and watch him grow up!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

If SAR is truly where you want to pursue, I would begin now.. Also, it is uncommon for the dog to have two handler's for different disciplines(and yes, for the most part, the dog chooses the discipline(s) and you both will have to certify in the given discipline. I. E., he certified in trailing with you, but husband has him when a call comes out.. LE may still let your hubby handle him (if your hubby has all state core competencies completed, which it sounds like he would with his job) but technically, the certification does not cover your hubby only you and the dog as a team...

Please know I am not trying to dissuade you, just being real. SOOOO many people think SAR as a lark, or as a standby.. It is not. It is truly a lifestyle. It is demanding. It is fulfilling. It is expensive. It is mission calls at 0200 in the subfreezing snowy weather. It is constant training for you and your dog. Once certified the real training begins as now you could be responsible for how a mission goes (dog determining DOT, or giving a negative) and that means lives are on the line.. Yes, it is most definitely a team practice, however, people trust the dogs nose so it better be up to snuff... Not a random training..

Again, just giving a broader perspective to what many misconstrue what SAR is.. Starting your pup right now will aid you in the process.. My 25wk old pup (have 2 other certified SAR dogs in multiple disciplines) is solid in trailing and HRD and evidence. She still has puppy brains at times and I don't expect maturity, but exposure and training are rounding her up and seasoning her for the very demanding and important work she is destined for 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page