Breeding my dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Breeding my dog

My dog is only 8 months and in her first heat. She is so adorable and good my family wants me to breed her. Possibly next heat but any suggestions? She is a German Shepard/ golden retriever mix. Never have done this before. How do you find a mate? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Master Member

I'm terribly sorry, but you won't find much support for breeding a family pet simply because she's adorable on this forum. I have linked some web pages I recommend you read through and I hope that after reading these things, you will be very careful in making your decisions on whether or not the risks outweigh any benefits when you breed as a novice.

Thinking of Breeding Your Dog? Questions to Ask Yourself

Dog Owner's Guide: Should you breed your dog?

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...-breeding-dogs (this one pushes a spay/neuter, which I don't necessarily agree with)

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:38 PM
Master Member

Last thing we need is more mutts. Please donít.

Itís spelled shepherd btw
mnm, onyx'girl and Sabis mom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:53 PM
Knighted Member

There are thousands of great dog in shelters all around the country that are already born and need a home. My advice would be to not breed your dog, and for your relatives or friends to help one of those!
unfortunatefoster likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

right now our local tv station is running teasers about the shelters overflowing with pets who are goign to be put to sleep.....please don't add to the problem by breeding a mixed breed female and giving away pups or selling them cheaply .....lots of dogs with nice personalities being put to death every day

Lee
mnm likes this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:09 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I agree with others saying you should not breed your dog. But, as people are wont to do as they please, if you do breed her, please have her hips and elbows xrayed at the very least, and wait until she is at the very youngest 2 years old. Be prepared for things to go wrong, such as your girl needing a c-section, losing puppies, losing your girl, etc. So much can go wrong...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlesfrk View Post
My dog is only 8 months and in her first heat. She is so adorable and good my family wants me to breed her. Possibly next heat but any suggestions? She is a German Shepard/ golden retriever mix. Never have done this before. How do you find a mate? Thanks
I'm all for responsible breeding but this isn't it.

A good breeder is knowledgeable in their breed. A good breeder health tests their prospective breeding stock according to what's needed given their breed. A good breeder proves their breeding dogs in some arena, be it conformation, performance, or both, demonstrating that the dogs are good exemplars of their breed and able to fulfill their intended purpose.

Breeding mixes tends not to fall into that category. I would hope nobody would support what you propose doing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

Please don't.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:11 AM
Crowned Member

all of the above AND the particular combination of your dog , if it is even correct , defies good sense if someone went out of their way to use these two polar opposite breeds to create a "designer" dog -- or someone's attempt to make a GSD friendlier .

one breed is by breed standard aloof , with aggression and guarding .
the other breed is a wear-your-heart on the sleeve , super friendly dog with no guarding , no aggression.

golden retrievers have a high incidence of orthopedic problems and are placed high in the cancer risk group

neither breed represented would have been a member of the best of the best - so wild card when it comes to the genetic background and attempts to eliminate these problems , which may become evident with your dog (hope not) or be expressed in the next generation.

no responsible GSD breeder would offer a good stud to your pup -

just enjoy your pup --
Stevenzachsmom and Cascade like this.

Carmen

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 AM
Crowned Member

There is so much you can do with your girl. Train her, take her to shows and title her in Rally, Obedience, Agility, Flyball, Herding, Nosework. Get her CGC, get advanced CGC, put a therapy dog on her, and go take her to hospitals, or libraries and help people with her. Teach her to hunt. The possibilities are endless.

If breeding is something you want to do, than while you are training your bitch, determine which of her traits are from which breed, and find which will be best for you. All of what you do with the mix, will be good experience for when you are ready to breed responsibly.

75% of the dogs in shelters are mixes. What this means is that when your bitch presents you with a healthy litter of 12 to 14 puppies, your relatives and friends fade into the woodwork and then you have to find homes for these puppies. And you are condemning them to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to owners. Yes, yes, there are folks here that have dogs they did not pay for, and they treat them as well as pups that were given 1500-2500 for. But they are the cream of the crop. A lot of folks, think easy come, easy go, and when the pup becomes an adolescent nuisance, or they have to move, if they did not pay for the puppy, a lot of them will not call you. They will just dump the dog at a shelter, and the dog could be dead before they leave the parking lot. Or they will drop the dog in the woods somewhere. The thing is, the costs are about the same to produce a mongrel than to produce pure-bred puppies. The work and time involved is the same, if you do it right.

Really, think about doing this. About not doing this. Have fun with this one, and learn from her. Then you will know what to look for when you go to buy a breeding prospect.
Stevenzachsmom and sebrench like this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page